Respected Contributor

Our Frys (owned by Kroger) opened up about 3yrs ago, well they have a small area which you can have a glass of wine or beer. They have specials on beer/wine of the day. Saw a few drinking & the deli will make you a sandwich, asian hot food or starbucks will be happy to walk it over to you. Also go to salad bar and bring it over while you drink. I live in Az. You will be suprised how many enjoy this. I think their is a 2 glass limit. The store is huge, selling housewares & clothes too. Three ways to check out of course cashiers, self check or get the scan gun & scan & bag while going up & down the isles. I am retired shop on weekdays and mostly retired part time workers or middle age. Very friendly. 

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

I agree when I moved here I too was shocked by the price of food esp. fresh fruits & vegs -- considering FL has summer year round!  I'm yet to find a "tasty" tomatoes or corn but I keep looking.  Being from NJ where there is nothing like a "jersey tomato" or corn it's disheartening! 😯

it's true you pay more at Publix yet their sale or BOGO items are always available!  If Wegmans ever came to FL then they'd have competition and would adjust prices.  I used to comparison shop

and frankly, sometimes WM or Winn Dixie is only a few cents cheaper (staple items).

I remember when I wanted to bag my groceries (the norm up North) the bagger was surprised & they even want to take the smallest order to your car!  Their carts glide don't they!!!! love it!!!

I no longer run store to store -- Publix gets my money!😊 

Valued Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Our Frys (owned by Kroger) opened up about 3yrs ago, well they have a small area which you can have a glass of wine or beer. They have specials on beer/wine of the day. Saw a few drinking & the deli will make you a sandwich, asian hot food or starbucks will be happy to walk it over to you. Also go to salad bar and bring it over while you drink. I live in Az. You will be suprised how many enjoy this. I think their is a 2 glass limit. The store is huge, selling housewares & clothes too. Three ways to check out of course cashiers, self check or get the scan gun & scan & bag while going up & down the isles. I am retired shop on weekdays and mostly retired part time workers or middle age. Very friendly. 

@sissel wrote:

@sissel, now that's a grocery shopping experience I may actually enjoy!!!  LOL - LuLu

Respected Contributor

I'm afraid after 2 glasses of wine my grocery bill will be sky high. LOL 

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

I agree when I moved here I too was shocked by the price of food esp. fresh fruits & vegs -- considering FL has summer year round!  I'm yet to find a "tasty" tomatoes or corn but I keep looking.  Being from NJ where there is nothing like a "jersey tomato" or corn it's disheartening! 😯

it's true you pay more at Publix yet their sale or BOGO items are always available!  If Wegmans ever came to FL then they'd have competition and would adjust prices.  I used to comparison shop

and frankly, sometimes WM or Winn Dixie is only a few cents cheaper (staple items).

I remember when I wanted to bag my groceries (the norm up North) the bagger was surprised & they even want to take the smallest order to your car!  Their carts glide don't they!!!! love it!!!

I no longer run store to store -- Publix gets my money!😊 

@homedecor1, you are certainly right about the produce.  DH and I garden in the summer in NY and can't beat the tomatoes we grow.  We're about 40 minutes South of Daytona, and they have a huge flea market.  The only thing worth going there for (IMHO) is the produce.  Don't know where it comes from, but I've bought wonderful tomatoes, corn, watermelon, greens and strawberries at great prices.  If you're anywhere nearby, you may want to check it out. 

And yes, Publix has great BOGOs!

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

Are you referring to The Daytona Flea Market near the racetrack?  

If so, many many weekends I spent there years ago.  My FIL lived in this area and one our favorite things to do was browse the flea market and buy his weekly produce.  

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

Are you referring to The Daytona Flea Market near the racetrack?  

If so, many many weekends I spent there years ago.  My FIL lived in this area and one our favorite things to do was browse the flea market and buy his weekly produce.  

@homedecor1, that's the one, it's still there and still great produce.  Funny, off topic story.  Last year DH and I were there looking at plum tomatoes.  There was a young mom with a little girl of about 3.  The little one was to my left, her mom holding her hand to the left of her looking at something else.  Well the little one picked a plum tomato out of a basket full of them and had it about 1/2" from her mouth.  I took it out of her hand and said, 'no, baby girl, you can't eat that."  Her mom turned my way and said, "Thank you so much for taking that from her.  The last thing I want to buy is a basket of plum tomatoes!"  DH and I walked away and I said to him, "if I did the same exact thing in NY a mother would be cursing me out for taking that tomato from her baby girl's hand"  Here in Florida it DOES take a village to raise kids without reproach.  Love it here, whole different vibe.  LuLu

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Publix is to the southeastern US as Wegmans is to the northeast.  Both are highly rated every year.  As Publix moves north and Wegmans moves south, they'll be competing directly against each other in the coming year (or two) as both move into North Carolina.  It will be fun to watch.

Shoprite, on the other hand, isn't a "beautiful shopping experience" like Wegmans is.  On the other hand, Shoprite has very good sales and a great coupon policy.

@ValuSkr.  I wish one or both would move West.  We have virgin territory here in the Southwest.  The best we can do is Albertson's

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My Publix is wonderful in every way! 💜

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2...When my daughter decided to move from AZ to FL it became an experience I will never forget.  Driving across country we encountered some great people and driving back to AZ was the same. Smiley Happy  I was amazed the first day I walked into the Publix Supermarket.  The floors were shining and when we arrived at the produce department...wow...I have never seen fruits and vegetables displayed the way they are there.  Wonderful place to shop, wish we had it all across the country so everyone could enjoy grocery shopping. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam