Honored Contributor

Re: Public Restrooms routines

[ Edited ]
@occasionalrainwrote:

That the ADA does not prohibit the use of the handicap stall by the general public doesn't make using it good manners. It's meant for those who need it and they shouldn't have to wait if they arrive while someone who doesn't need it is occupying it.

There isn't a law requiring one to be considerate but that doesn't excuse those who aren't.

So what if they arrive while it's being used.  Then they wait like everyone else who has to wait.  That's what good manners are.  I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but what gives a handicapped person the right that they should always expect a stall to always be available the second they arrive?  As it's already been established, the stall is handicapped accessible, not handicapped only.  A handicapped stall is an accomodation to individuals who need it, not a prioritization or entitlement to pass everyone in the line, yet the majority of the public probably accepts that that's what usually happens.  Furthermore, there are handicaps that aren't immediately obvious.  Just because a person isn't in a chair or using a walker doesn't mean they don't have some kind of physical issue where using the handicapped stall makes things easier or more comfortable for them.     

Respected Contributor

@sydsgma1wrote:

Unless you are handicapped, you cannot understand. I realize ada does not prohibit the use from none handicapped individuals and often, the changing areas are in the handicapped stall, but it annoys me when there are many stalls open

thank goodness I live in states where the parking spots are monitored.😍

How do you know if the person is disabled or not?  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and use the handicap stall because it's easier on my knees and hips.  I don't have a sign around my neck with my diagnosis on it nor do I use a cane or walker. 

It's not illegal to use the stall but, it must be available for anyone who is disabled.  In other words, if there is a disabled person waiting for the stall, they get to go next.  Many people have physical problems but don't need to use a wheelchair or assistive device.  While you're being annoyed, people like me are in pain which can't be seen.  Think about it! 

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

Doe a pregnant woman with a full bladder qualify for the handicap stall, @occasionalrain?

Do you challenge people if you don’t see an obvious handicap?

I don't challenge anyone who uses the handicap stall. I can't know their reason. All I'm saying is that I don't use it because I don't require that accommodation and feel it would be poor manners to do so. 

Trusted Contributor

I think the real question is - do you believe in leaving the rest room in good condition for the next user?

A lot of people don't care about that.  I do.  Where do you stand on the issue?

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:
@occasionalrainwrote:

That the ADA does not prohibit the use of the handicap stall by the general public doesn't make using it good manners. It's meant for those who need it and they shouldn't have to wait if they arrive while someone who doesn't need it is occupying it.

There isn't a law requiring one to be considerate but that doesn't excuse those who aren't.

So what if they arrive while it's being used.  Then they wait like everyone else who has to wait.  That's what good manners are.  I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but what gives a handicapped person the right that they should always expect a stall to always be available the second they arrive?  As it's already been established, the stall is handicapped accessible, not handicapped only.  A handicapped stall is an accomodation to individuals who need it, not a prioritization or entitlement to pass everyone in the line, yet the majority of the public probably accepts that that's what usually happens.  Furthermore, there are handicaps that aren't immediately obvious.  Just because a person isn't in a chair or using a walker doesn't mean they don't have some kind of physical issue where using the handicapped stall makes things easier or more comfortable for them.     

@JeanLouiseFinch

BINGO ... you nailed it!

Anyone who has ever gone to the ladies room after a movie or concert woud know that getting an available stall when you walk in is simply luck of the draw, so to speak.   

If there are 25 stalls, and 40 women in line wanting to use one, on what planet does it make sense to leave the handicapped stall unused because someone "might" come in and want to use it?   oi vey!

@occasionalrain

Contributor

HI, First I wash my hands first before I go. I get bladder infections so easy. I dont close the door from the inside, as I don't want to touch It, and pray no one walks by. I place a few papers down, I do sit on that or else It will spill everywhere. I wont reach for TP because someone else had handled It, so I drip dry. I proceed to pull my drawers up, flush with my foot, open the door from the top left side, wash really good, use paper towels to open the door. Most places don't have doors anymore which makes It nice.

My husband used a public restroom last summer, and the next morning he had a rash between his thighs, and a few days went by and it blistered. He went to the Dr and It was a fungus he picked up, and to use anti fungus cream. It healed using that. Just be careful when using a public place.  

Funny how you all will talk about anything and everything. Nice to be able to to do that. Keeps It interesting, and helpful. Thank you, Have a nice night. 

Trusted Contributor

@c_la_veewrote:

@Ms tyrion2  Hi, no no, you didn't read it wrong! Smiley Happy Yes that's me.

If they have a waste bin I use it and if not...the person that is supposed to clean will...clean! 

Explaining why people who deal with the public eventually quit. Not sure why people's manners disappear when they leave the house. It's probably really a job enriching experience when lots of people like you use the restroom on the same day.

Honored Contributor

I worry more about the germs from people who don't wash their hands.  They may think they didn't touch anything when going but they don't know what they touched from others who didn't wash or did come in contact with their output.  

If there are paper towels, I use one to open the door when leaving.  

A lot of restrooms have a little foot thing at the bottom of the door and I'll use my foot to open the door so I don't have to touch the handle.

I use the back of my hand, elbow, or knuckle to push buttons for automatic doors.  

Honored Contributor

I was trying to remember when my son was really little and what I did.  When we took him places, always made sure my husband would be there to take him in.   I'm mostly oblivious to public restrooms other then in washing my hands of course and using the towel to let myself out.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since I was a child I would opt out of dirty bathrooms.  Poor mom!  I would also do that with restaurants and stores and whatever.  I still do that.  

Public restrooms that I see crews constantly cleaning I am okay and don't worry.  But in other unknown places I just wait until I get home or tidy up the touching spaces before I TOUCH.