Respected Contributor

Re: Psychiatrist says stockpiling and hoarding differ

I have always stockpiled TP and PT since I first started I was a young bride many years ago. It doesn't go bad, so that's what I do.  

Honored Contributor

I don't hoard...I understand what that is... but I do have what I call my 'pandemic pantry' where I put my stockpile of things I will need in the upcoming months. What I have there may not be the same as yours but basically most of that stuff is bare necessities. 

Esteemed Contributor

Husband and I have stockpiled for years -- canned goods, dry foods, paper products.  I never considered it hoarding, and I was happy to have all of it when the pandemic hit last spring.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

What you are describing could perhaps be called "good old fashioned capitalism" rather than greed.  

It's the American norm to pursue making money any way we can without breaking any laws.  Our economy wouldn't have gotten very far without that type of spirit driving businesses and start-up businesses of all types.

Not many people would let a dollar lie unclaimed on the sidewalk if they came across it.   At best, they would donate it to charity or a needy person, which is what many "stockpilers" have been doing since the early days of the pandemic.  At least this happens where I live.

@novamc1 

I respectfully disagree....when you buy "all there is" and then PRICE GOUGE that's not capitalism that's pure GREED....  Capitalism is where several companies compete for business in a competitive free market place and charge a FAIR PRICE.....And ANTI-TRUST LAWS APPLY! ( capitalism includes Anti-Trust laws which are regulations that encourage competition by limiting the market power of any particular firm.).  

Here's Meriam Webster's definition.....

an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

There's no competition when these people buy up the entire supply and that is the only place where its available....That falls under anti-trust laws! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@novamc1 

I respectfully must disagree. Earlier this year there were plenty of stories of those who purchased very large quantities of hand sanitizer, toilet paper, cleaning wipes, etc., then attempted to resell them for 10+ times their value. We all saw stories of these individuals being stopped and some donated their stashes. Many were on Amazon trying to sell these products at greatly inflated prices. I don't call this capitalism but exploitation. 

Yes, a fool and his/her money are soon parted. Not for me. There is always an alternative for my money other than in someone else's pocket!

Honored Contributor

I've never even stockpiled before the pandemic.  I just don't.  I have a vice of collecting jeans.  And I have a lot, but the rest of my clothing is not very much.  I think it's like collecting handbag.  But I don't and only have one handbag.  

Since the pandemic, I tired to stockpile. But I started late and was down at one point to 2 individual TP rolls for my entire family, before I managed to find some.  I never got a hand sanitizer, ever. I tried,  but could not find one. So now I have Bounty towels stockpiled in my closet along with water. We always had canned goods put away.  But they are years old.  I don't know if they've expired. Hand sanitizer are back, but I got along fine with washing my hands with soap.  

Honored Contributor

Whatever you call it.....it is SELFISH SELFSERVING behavior. Peopke just need to STOP IT😡

Respected Contributor

Hoarder I am not.  I lik moving stuff out and things being organized too...much different than my sister alright.

I do stockpile some and always have.  I share my stockpile with my daughter and her family too.  I have always planned ahead.

I do not have a gross amount but I have stuff so I don't have to run to the store all the time and especially in the winter.  

Honored Contributor

Stockpiling or living a prepared lifestyle is definitely different than hoarding. 

Even hoarders that don't accumulate trash and garbage the way we see in the famous tv program, are beyond reluctant to give up their things, and quite often, don't even want to use them.  

Those of us that have lived generations with the idea that we and only we are responsible for our well being, and that of our family and neighbors, know that stockpiling as it is now called, or simply having enough things on hand to sustain yourself and your community for a defined period of time is not only instinctual, it comes from the necessity that just a couple of generations ago, it determined survival.

My husband and I were both raised to keep a supply of food and other necessary items. His family, because they were very poor, and grew most of their food and preserved it, or would have starved. My family because we were only one generation removed from the farm (and it is/was just a way of life), and my father was ill at a very young age and it was clear he wasn't going to live to see his family raised, so being ahead was seen as a form of insurance (which it really is in any aspect).

We stockpile by preparing ahead of time. We rotate through and use what we stockpile, and we share what we put back with family, friends and pantries as well. We don't usually keep more than a year's supply of most things. A few things we keep more, but those are often our most shared items as well.

In living prepared, your stockpile isn't accumulated during times of shortage or crisis, It will be maintained (replace the two cans of soup you used this week, not buy 10 cases as the shelves are only half full) during that time, but you won't be emptying shelves of product, you already have shelves of product at home. You will simply be replacing or filling in areas you had let lapse, with small, spread out purchases, not shorting anyone else . 

We have defined spaces (or pre set  quantities) that we fill with stockpiled items, and we usually don't go beyond that. I will admit that during this pandemic, we have broadened some of those parameters somewhat, as we seem to be sharing much more, and anticipating lack of availability because of the current situations. 

How I know I'm not a hoarder (well, of these kinds of supplies anyway! lol) is that I easily part with those things if someone needs them, I share them, I am fine in using them and using them up, I set a defined space, and it really bothers me to have excess overspill those defined spaces. 

There are more and more people seeing the value of living a prepared lifestyle. It's suddenly become much more mainstream. 

What I find odd, and always have, isn't that some people don't do it, but that some people are openly hostile about those that do. I don't know if that comes from jealousy because they can't afford to or aren't allowed to by someone in their life. I don't know if it is because they don't want to appear on the fringe and participate in something they feel they would have to explain. I don't know if it is because they don't have the discipline to do it, and lash out at others that do. What ever it is, it is disturbing to be that people get so upset or judgmental about how much other people have. 

I understand anger/frustration/disgust with people hoarding things they will never use, share, want or will simply buy it all to make a huge profit in times of crisis, that makes sense to me. 

But to get as upset as some people do, or to  dismiss someones choice to be prepared as a character flaw or borderline mental illness is telling me, they don't really understand the differences in hoarding/stockpiling and living a prepared lifestyle. They are really three totally different things. 

Honored Contributor

I use Instacart (got tired of hauling 25 lbs of heavy cat litter and other items before the pandemic).... On my last grocery order, the Shopper even mentioned that Lysol wipes and spray were available if I needed any--(had one of each in my pantry already)- I did buy 1 can and 1 container of wipes just because of the news stories and that people will be stocking up....I always have had one extra TP 12 pack for emergencies pre-pandemic---but thats all the "stockpiling" I do---dont have room and dont want money tied up in things I might not even use.... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”