Honored Contributor

Re: Pronunciation of the word "Button"

@febe1 wrote:

@PreKteacher wrote:

I can't say I've ever noticed someone saying "button" differently. I do have a funny story that happened early in my marriage. My husband is from the midwest, and I'm an east coast girl. One day I heard him ask me to hand him a "pin". I responded, "A safety pin or a straight pin?" He looked at me strangely and said, "A pin that you write with." That's when I realized he was asking for a PEN! Woman LOL

LOL, @PreKteacher . I noticed my husband doing this. I asked him to pronounce pen then asked him to pronounce pin. There was not a whit of a difference. He's from the South and I'm from the North. 

I've noticed Gary from DEnim and Co says Dinim.

My favorite teacher originally from the south said south kind of like sewth-I don't even know how to write it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay  Years ago when I watched Paula Deen she was adding ingredients and said, "a cup of all".

I asked my DH, "what the hell is all"

It was a cup of oil.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@on the bay  Years ago when I watched Paula Deen she was adding ingredients and said, "a cup of all".

I asked my DH, "what the hell is all"

It was a cup of oil.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Lol! 😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Occasional Contributor

It's not silly for this to make you cringe. Not only does it make me cringe, it makes me feel embarrassed for the vendors that say it. It sounds so illiterate. If you're going to be a public speaker you should know how to speak properly. QVC is at fault for not correcting these people. The minute I hear this, I tune them out along with the product they are selling.  To me this product has now become low class.  So no, you are not alone in being bothered by this. 

Valued Contributor

Old thread, almost 2 year old

Esteemed Contributor

As I have said many times on these forums. I do not get into spelling/paragraph construction/typos, nor pronunciations. As long as I understand what they are typing, or saying!  That is good enough for me.

To do otherwise, in my opinion, is simply trivial nonsense. At times it appears as: "I am up here/you are down there", and people of that ilk, I purposely avoid.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

butten.

Honored Contributor

Please stop digging up these old threads.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Pronouncing the Ts in button would sound weird to me.

It irritates me when people pronounce lemon as "limin" or milk as "melk" or when they drop the g in -ing like runnin', goin', and eatin'.

Another big one around here is "I seen" instead of "I saw." *cringe*

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
QVC Customer Care

This thread has been locked from new replies. Bumped up from 3/2021