Honored Contributor

Re: Pronunciation of the word "Button"

[ Edited ]

@KKWA wrote:

@shaggygirl  That bothers me more than anything!  This is cawd.............  UGH.  That is not a regional issue.  It is a speech impediment.  People who have that kind of issue  shouldn't be speaking publicaly.  It seems she is unable to say "L"  I just wonder why she isn't instructed to say"this is blue".

Are you sure that you mean this, @KKWA -- that people who have a speech impediment shouldn't be speaking to the public???

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I would not hire  a spokesman for my company with a speach impediment.

Respected Contributor

@KKWA wrote:

@shaggygirl  That bothers me more than anything!  This is cawd.............  UGH.  That is not a regional issue.  It is a speech impediment.  People who have that kind of issue  shouldn't be speaking publicaly.  It seems she is unable to say "L"  I just wonder why she isn't instructed to say"this is blue".

Well that's a bit harsh.

Honored Contributor

I was born and raised in California and I pronounce the tt's in both  button and cotton. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is an interesting topic, but a non-issue for me.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

This is host inexcusable: I've heard more than one host pronounce wrinkled skin as creepy skin.  

Trusted Contributor

@KKWA wrote:

Wow. really? Why so angry?

Esteemed Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

I can't say I've ever noticed someone saying "button" differently. I do have a funny story that happened early in my marriage. My husband is from the midwest, and I'm an east coast girl. One day I heard him ask me to hand him a "pin". I responded, "A safety pin or a straight pin?" He looked at me strangely and said, "A pin that you write with." That's when I realized he was asking for a PEN! Woman LOL

LOL, @PreKteacher . I noticed my husband doing this. I asked him to pronounce pen then asked him to pronounce pin. There was not a whit of a difference. He's from the South and I'm from the North. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I hear buh in here a lot.  Drives me crazy.

On the news a couple months ago they spoke to someone about a fire in the neighborhood.  The young woman interviewed said the person that escaped the fire was "shooken."  Huh!  I would have been shaken by the experience.  So James Bond takes is drink shooken not stirred.

Also on ID a person said, "he had tooken the money."  wth. Do people talk like that in a job interview?

When they really don't want the job, @CrazyKittyLvr2 .

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs Now that's a first for me.  I have never heard bedroom pronounced bet room, and would be shocked if I did.  I wonder what part of the country pronounces it that way, any ideas?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam