Honored Contributor

Re: Professional Development: Empathy Training

@Noel7 wrote:

BTW, there are fairly new studies out which report a lot of CEOs are sociopaths.    Some sociopaths aren't destructive, although some are.

For those interested, Business Insider has an interesting article:

Here's why CEOs often have the traits of a psychopath

Sorry, I can't link to it, it has sidebars, but it would be easy to Google, title and source.

Interesting concept.   I've studied very succesful men over the course of American history, some of them do have those traits.

I took the test at the end of the article, I have 15 of the traits as well.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

BTW, there are fairly new studies out which report a lot of CEOs are sociopaths.    Some sociopaths aren't destructive, although some are.

For those interested, Business Insider has an interesting article:

Here's why CEOs often have the traits of a psychopath

Sorry, I can't link to it, it has sidebars, but it would be easy to Google, title and source.

Interesting concept.   I've studied very succesful men over the course of American history, some of them do have those traits.

I took the test at the end of the article, I have 15 of the traits as well.

Rut roh.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

There is some debate in the mental health community re: defining a sociopath.  It used to mean someone with anti-social behavior issues, including gamblers.

But now, some in the field believe sociopaths can also not have a conscience.

The serious killers are psychopaths, not sociopaths.

Reminder: not all psychopaths do harm, that's a fairly new finding.  It is thought to be on a spectrum.

@Noel7 wrote:

There is some debate in the mental health community re: defining a sociopath.  It used to mean someone with anti-social behavior issues, including gamblers.

But now, some in the field believe sociopaths can also not have a conscience.

The serious killers are psychopaths, not sociopaths.

Reminder: not all psychopaths do harm, that's a fairly new finding.  It is thought to be on a spectrum.

@Noel7

Serious killers?  As opposed to say, NON serious killers?

As far as I know the sociopath I was involved with did not kill anyone, but it's possible he has.  There have been suspicions.  But he is decidedly without conscience.  

It's pretty clear she meant serial killers.

@Ms tyrion2

Oh, silly me!

Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@software

Some well known MD has studied them for a long time, he came up with a test/list of personality traits, took it himself and discovered he fit the profile.  He thought about it a long time and realized it really was him, but he was one who never even thought of hurting anyone. 

I think that was the start of others thinking it was a spectrum.  My point is, don't worry about it Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

...The goal seems to be to make relationships within schools- student to student, student to teacher, and teachers to parents.  When students feel connected, they are "primed" to learn.  

They are concerned about kids feeling like no one cares about them, which leads to self harming behaviors, anxiety about going to school, depression, and elevated risk of dropping out.  

@lolakimono

Did your PD seminar discuss the restorative justice pilot program and tie it in with the PD empathy training?   If the project/training is using the restorative justice idea as a model, it seems to me that would be attempting to restore relationships after some incident.  It would be best to have these relationships already in place (probably a major point in the PD empathy training) to avoid an incident.

I like the idea of restorative justice as a model, but it's interesting (and probably a little sad) to me that this comes primarily from the field of criminology.

All the things you mentioned in a previous post (where you mentioned restorative justice)...personal connections, ability to apologize, cooperation, etc....are things that should be taught in the home by Mom and Dad, and reinforced in school.   I get that those days are over for the most part, and while I do lament the loss, I also get that something else is going to have to be done.

This kind of thing was done in my day when all parties (kids, teachers, parents) were called into the principal's office to hash it out, and it worked quite well...I guess I don't know why another special program has to be developed/tested, especially if it turns into another expensive bureaucratic boondoggle. 

I suppose it remains to be seen whether this program, as opposed to other programs, will make kids feel cared about and prevent the behaviors and feelings you mention.  I hope it does.

Interesting thread, lola...I wish we could sit down over lunch and discuss it (my post in no way does "justice" to my thoughts and feelings on the subject LOL)...much too complicated for a forum such as this. 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

...The goal seems to be to make relationships within schools- student to student, student to teacher, and teachers to parents.  When students feel connected, they are "primed" to learn.  

They are concerned about kids feeling like no one cares about them, which leads to self harming behaviors, anxiety about going to school, depression, and elevated risk of dropping out.  

@lolakimono

Did your PD seminar discuss the restorative justice pilot program and tie it in with the PD empathy training?   If the project/training is using the restorative justice idea as a model, it seems to me that would be attempting to restore relationships after some incident.  It would be best to have these relationships already in place (probably a major point in the PD empathy training) to avoid an incident.

I like the idea of restorative justice as a model, but it's interesting (and probably a little sad) to me that this comes primarily from the field of criminology.

All the things you mentioned in a previous post (where you mentioned restorative justice)...personal connections, ability to apologize, cooperation, etc....are things that should be taught in the home by Mom and Dad, and reinforced in school.   I get that those days are over for the most part, and while I do lament the loss, I also get that something else is going to have to be done.

This kind of thing was done in my day when all parties (kids, teachers, parents) were called into the principal's office to hash it out, and it worked quite well...I guess I don't know why another special program has to be developed/tested, especially if it turns into another expensive bureaucratic boondoggle. 

I suppose it remains to be seen whether this program, as opposed to other programs, will make kids feel cared about and prevent the behaviors and feelings you mention.  I hope it does.

Interesting thread, lola...I wish we could sit down over lunch and discuss it (my post in no way does "justice" to my thoughts and feelings on the subject LOL)...much too complicated for a forum such as this. 

@MacDUFF  What's the connection of restorative justice to empathy/sympathy training for schools?

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

The pilot is in one of the "rougher" middle schools, not in mine.  I think if they see that it works, it will be implemented at all the schools in the district.

We do have a peer mediation program, but I don't know how often that is utilized.  

Esteemed Contributor

I doubt this can be taught in adulthood. This should be taught when you are a child.

I didn't watch the video, though....

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

Did you see @Noel7's question?   I'm wondering the same thing.  (I saw your post about the RJ pilot not in your school, but I'm guessing there's some connection between your PD training and the RJ pilot program...?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@lolakimono

Did you see @Noel7's question?   I'm wondering the same thing.  (I saw your post about the RJ pilot not in your school, but I'm guessing there's some connection between your PD training and the RJ pilot program...?

I should add that I also like the idea of restorative justice @MacDUFF