Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with new management at my gym

This is different because if I show up but just not fifteen minutes early my paid spot will be taken by someone else and my money won't be refunded.i can understand if I don't show up but still the spot has been paid for so he is out nothing.
Honored Contributor

Well the class being cancelled for too few people I can see. If not in writing, get a refund.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I would just request a refund and find another gym. If he refuses a refund, dispute the charge with your credit card company. I have never heard of a gym operating as an airline. You pay for a class and it's your choice to attend or not, same as any other class.
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your input and listening to me.I have been to a lot of gyms over the years and have never had this experience.i love this gym and all of the instructors but this new owner is something else.he has not given out any info on his policy changes. Just finding things out as they crop up.
Honored Contributor

Dex - legally the owner cannot make changes unless in writing. He's getting away with it...I'm sure with a lot of people...he's trying to be slick...good luck...this sort of thing is not unheard of....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

I work at an airport. At least once a day, someone comes running up to us, saying that they need to get on the plane. We ask them if they are checked in. They say that they are not. The reason that they are not checked in, is because they arrived late. It doesn't matter that they are there now, they are still late, and their paid seat goes to someone who is on stand-by. This gym seems no different than how airlines does things. If you want to make sure that that doesn't happen, then get up earlier, leave earlier. Do whatever you have to do to make sure that you keep your spot. The responsibility lies with you, not the gym manager.
Honored Contributor

The airlines will reschedule your flight...some have a fee but you are not just out your spot.
Esteemed Contributor

That seat, for that flight, = gone. That spot, for that gym class, for that day, = gone. Same thing.
Honored Contributor

The airlines have been getting away with passenger abuse for years. No other business operates like the airlines. The railroad doesn't sell your seat if you don't show up without refunding your money.
Honored Contributor

Plaiidpants it's not the same because I can't reschedule without paying again ..they don't refund my class money if someone else gets my spot. The plane must leave on time so it makes more sense that if you are late it won't be there.but the class will start and I can be there at start but not early.