Honored Contributor

Problems with new management at my gym

We have been told that if we buy cards for classes they have an expiration date.The latest is that if you don't arrive 15min early and someone that hasn't booked shows up they can buy your spot but you will still be charged.There is a lot of road construction going on where I live and arriving on time is hard for me.This class starts at 8:30 and I have plenty to do before I leave in the morning.i don't see how they can sell a spot twice.
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with new management at my gym

Do any of you belong to a gym with these rules.I think that if you bought a ticket to a sporting event and because you didn't get there early enough they resold your seat and it was not refundable...well o don't think anyone could get away with that.
Honored Contributor

Oh, that's a bummer! They can do anything they want I'm afraid.. My sis owned a gym (a nice friendly one) and she acquired a lot of new members because of crazy management mind sets.....good luck....maybe you can get the masses together and complain/revolt or bolt.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Isn't it a contract that we have entered into when he sells these spots in classes so how can u double sell? Even if I don't show he will charge me so how can he sell my spot if I am just not 15 minutes early
Honored Contributor

dex - I would plead my case and say exactly what you said here to management.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

I'd just leave earlier and do whatever when I got home. That's just me.

Honored Contributor

You can't sell a sports game ticket (seat) to 2 people? Sounds like the gym is finding a way to make more money. If would be fine, if you got a refund.

Honored Contributor

Is it in writing that they can do this? Look at your original contract and/or the small print. My sis says also to call consumer affairs if needed.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't see how this is any different from airlines over selling seats. When someone flies, if the passenger doesn't show up, the person on stand-by gets the seat, while the original passenger is still charged. How is this any different from what airlines do?
Honored Contributor

This is not in any writing that I have seen,,,I purchased my pass at the front desk and they billed my credit card and no mention of the change of policy..all I got was a receipt for purchase.he also says that if a class doesn't have three people booked he can cancel without notice...this so he doesn't have to pay the instructor.The way I see it he has nothing on the line.