Respected Contributor

Problem phone calls from a number "not in service!!!!"

For several days I have been getting phone calls from a 949 area code (nearby) and when I answer there is no one on the line. I just called the number given on my caller ID and a recording said the number is no longer in service.

Just in the last 30 mins. that number has called me four times.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

TIA

Super Contributor

Re: Problem phone calls from a number ""not in service!!!!""

Weird...
Honored Contributor

I understand completely, I've been called all day from a four digit number all day! Who is it? Its very annoying. I answer without any response. The last one was at 8:48 PM.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

Put the number into google search and see what comes up. Probably telemarketing, or scam type thing. Same with the poster who said she gets a call from 4 digit number, probably one of those scam calls. I wouldn't answer the calls anymore.
Respected Contributor

Its telephone number spoofing. I had this happen about 6 months ago and it turned out to be a telemarketer. The number was local and listed to an individual. I called our local phone company and inquired they said the number was no longer in service and it was spoofed.

Respected Contributor

There is actually software on the market created to fool your caller ID and disguise the caller's phone number.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 bigsister said:

For several days I have been getting phone calls from a 949 area code (nearby) and when I answer there is no one on the line. I just called the number given on my caller ID and a recording said the number is no longer in service.

Just in the last 30 mins. that number has called me four times.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

TIA

My goodness, we have a number of phone call threads. Maybe more problems cropping up?

As I said on the other thread, this is called "caller ID spoofing" and it's illegal. The number you see isn't their real phone number.

Don't ever answer unknown calls, and definitely don't call them back.

Go to a search engine (like Google) and put the complete number in the search bar. Most of the time, you'll find plenty of reports (websites like 800note.com or whocallseme.com) because these fake numbers are reused frequently.

(edited to add links)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be calling back any number I do not know. For all you know, the phone call might be originating from outside the USA and YOU would be hit with the cost of dialing to that out of country number.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Strange things can happen. A couple times when my phone rang, MY name and number appeared in the caller ID. Never could figure out how that happened.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I plan to keep the ""800notes.com"" and the ""whocallsme.com"" sites handy.

The ""do not call registry"" is a joke.