Respected Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

@Greeneyedlady21  Thanks for posting this article (although I had to read through a couple of paragraphs twice). Getting the background information straight can be really hard.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

@hckynut  Read @Greeneyedlady21's link to the excellent golf.com article. Be prepared to read it slowly. 

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21   Thank you for taking time to post the truth.  My DH watches losts of golf and said had Rahm been fully vaccinated, he wouldn't have been tested.  Everyone gets to choose to be vaccinated or not, but it sounds like it cost Rahm around 1.7 million. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds to me like the commentators made an assumption and everyone just ran with it.

So is the new story: that we don't know whether he is vaccinated or not, but that circumstantial evidence points to it being unlikely?

As in, if he were actually vaccinated, why would he jump through all the PGA-mandated hoops that are required only for unvaccinated people?

That's not good for him, then. Post Covid Syndrome's long haul health problems are no joke, and for an athlete they can be career enders. Good luck to him. I hope he gets the best of care.

----

Edited to add: So now he admits he's unvaccinated. And he's caught Covid for a second time now. That would suggest he caught a variant. (And that he's not taking any precautions.)

Natural antibodies do not protect well at all against variants. So you can get Covid as many times as there are variants if you go unvaccinated. The vaccines, on the other hand, provide significant protection against variants (albeit not perfect protection).

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I wonder if CBS will retract that statement. I'm sure they're meeting with their lawyers right now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624I am fully vaccinated, and I still wear my mask. In my area at least half the shopper's in the stores still wear masks, and all employee's wear them. I thought I would be in the minority on this, but am happy to see many other people not ready to go without.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

There will always be a chance with any vaccine that you might still be infected. This is a given. But it is highly unlikely. And the overwhelming odds are that you will be asymtomatic or have a very light case.

I post this because some use news like this to disparage the vaccine.

Come ten days from now (not that I'm counting down or anything :-)) here in California, I will keep a mask in my purse but do not plan on wearing it in most situations.

I agree @suzyQ3 people should not let this deter them from getting vaccinated. It is important to do so, as it decreases your risk for serious illness from the virus.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
@ID2 wrote:
@PickyPicky wrote:

He was leading in the final round when he got the news. Rahm is fully vaccinated but came in contact with a person who tested positive. He withdrew from the tournament.

@PickyPicky 

Why is this even news?? Woman Frustrated

@ID2 

On the off chance this is a serious question, a quick minute of research on the internet will give you the answer whether you're looking at it from the scholarly aspect (journalism) or from the sport's world aspect in which this is a major news story.

Respected Contributor

Oh my. I feel like we are all "waiting to exhale."

Honored Contributor

Yes, I know the 'rules' but in my opinion he could have continued the game....with those that were close to him keepping their distance, they were outside!