Respected Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

@hckynut I guess because he was in the lead and playing well, because he was notified and removed on live TV, because PGA rules allowed him to participate even though they were aware of his exposure. I found it interesting and wanted to share it, just like the arrival of GMO salmon last week.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

The PGA is letting fans get too close too soon. The crowd swarmed Phil Michelson as he was walking to the green to take his final shots for the championship win. It was frightening to watch. In the post tournament win interview he mentioned it was unsettling. There were little to no people wearing masks but they were packed like sardines.

This is these golfers livelihood. Leading a tournament and having to pull out is devistating. Some have very few opportunities to get in that position. There's always next week doesn't mean they will be leading again any time this season. I just wish Jon Rahm a speedy recovery, and hope his physical and mental game will both be unscathed.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut - so because you don't have an interest in or follow golf, it's of no importance and shouldn't be of interest to anyone else? Wow. SMH 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

The PGA is letting fans get too close too soon. The crowd swarmed Phil Michelson as he was walking to the green to take his final shots for the championship win. It was frightening to watch. In the post tournament win interview he mentioned it was unsettling. There were little to no people wearing masks but they were packed like sardines.

This is these golfers livelihood. Leading a tournament and having to pull out is devistating. Some have very few opportunities to get in that position. There's always next week doesn't mean they will be leading again any time this season. I just wish Jon Rahm a speedy recovery, and hope his physical and mental game will both be unscathed.

He's NOT physically ill. He merely tested positive. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Apparently he learned last week about his exposure through contact tracing. He was allowed to participate in the tournament according to PGA rules. He tested negative all week until today.

Does anyone know if he was required by the PGA to at least wear a mask this week?

No. Golf is an outdoor sport. Groups of two or three plus (for pros) their caddies. Very easy to keep your distance. There's a pic of him on golfchannel.com wearing a mask, but he's on a cart, with his caddie AFTER he'd been notified of the results. 

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@On It wrote:

I understand he is not Ill, but he has to get a negative test or two before he can return to the tour. So he needs a speedy recovery.  In the meantime, an athlete can have all the physical skills in any sport, but without a strong mental game they will not excel. What happened today, and the way it was handled could have damaged his game more than any disease.

Esteemed Contributor

Basketball players have frequently been removed from the court due to testing results.  On television.  Live. During a game.

Golfers are no different or no more special merely because they are ....golfers.

It does make for great television,  however.

Respected Contributor

.@On It wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@On It wrote:

I understand he is not Ill, but he has to get a negative test or two before he can return to the tour. So he needs a speedy recovery.  In the meantime, an athlete can have all the physical skills in any sport, but without a strong mental game they will not excel. What happened today, and the way it was handled could have damaged his game more than any disease.

On that, we completely agree. 

Per tour requirements, he has to isolate until June 15th. That's only two days before the US Open starts. Among other things, he's going to loose valuable practice time. 

I understand what the tour is doing and why. I don't have a quarrel with it. I have a real problem with him being informed on live TV. 

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Basketball players have frequently been removed from the court due to testing results.  On television.  Live. During a game.

Golfers are no different or no more special merely because they are ....golfers.

It does make for great television,  however.

Basketball is a team sport. If a player gets pulled out, the team goes on.

Golf is an individual sport. The risk/reward is all on the shoulders of one person. That's a significant difference.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@hckynut - so because you don't have an interest in or follow golf, it's of no importance and shouldn't be of interest to anyone else? Wow. SMH 

@FrostyBabe1 

If that's the way you took what I said in my post?   When I read the title of a thread with Covid in it, and it's about a sports figure, that I am guessing many do not know him?

I do remember Tiger Woods in more than 1 thread in this forum, but I have to think more non golf fans here, recognized his name than this man. Like I mentioned in my post if it is less about this golfer and more about the virus, "I'm game".

My sport/your sport/no sport is fine with me, let your sports interests take you where they may. Think you read more into my comments than I expected, and I'm guessin you are not going to be the only one.

john

hckynut(john)