Honored Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@hckynut I guess because he was in the lead and playing well, because he was notified and removed on live TV, because PGA rules allowed him to participate even though they were aware of his exposure. I found it interesting and wanted to share it, just like the arrival of GMO salmon last week.

@PickyPicky3,

"He was in the lead and PGA rules allowed him to participate even though they were aware he tested positive"? So who had the authority to remove him, and on a live telecast to boot? Do they have a Referee that calls decision in a Golf Tournament?  

In hockey a Referee can kick players out of a game, but only if he violates NHL rules. If said player Did Not violate a rule, a Referee cannot kick him out of a game. Certain rules require "timed penalties", more egregious ones allow the Referee to remove him from the game.

The virus deal makes sense to me, but if the rules makers decided it was ok for him to play, who overrides the PGA Committee Rules?  

Now golf is played outdoors and from what little I know, a caddy is usually the only one close to their player during a competition. Then there is the mask or 2 or 3 of them. Seems like something strange in this sport to me. Maybe someone that knows the PGA rules about this can explain this to me.

My thought was you might be doing a work around to get to a Virus discussion, and I guess I was wrong. I apologize for that.

hckynut(john) 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

@On It wrote:

The PGA is letting fans get too close too soon. The crowd swarmed Phil Michelson as he was walking to the green to take his final shots for the championship win. It was frightening to watch. In the post tournament win interview he mentioned it was unsettling. There were little to no people wearing masks but they were packed like sardines.

This is these golfers livelihood. Leading a tournament and having to pull out is devistating. Some have very few opportunities to get in that position. There's always next week doesn't mean they will be leading again any time this season. I just wish Jon Rahm a speedy recovery, and hope his physical and mental game will both be unscathed.

@On It 

This golf tournament was being played outdoors, no, and I am guessing there was some wind?  And this was "frightening to watch" for you on your tv set?  What am I missing here?  I bess leave it at that!

john

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut PGA rules allowed Rahm to play even though he had been exposed as long as he followed their testing protocols. As soon as he tested positive, he was removed.

Addendum: @hckynut John -  I am far, far too lazy to do a workaround to get to a different topic. I just say what I want to say and let the good times roll.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@On It wrote:

The PGA is letting fans get too close too soon. The crowd swarmed Phil Michelson as he was walking to the green to take his final shots for the championship win. It was frightening to watch. In the post tournament win interview he mentioned it was unsettling. There were little to no people wearing masks but they were packed like sardines.

This is these golfers livelihood. Leading a tournament and having to pull out is devistating. Some have very few opportunities to get in that position. There's always next week doesn't mean they will be leading again any time this season. I just wish Jon Rahm a speedy recovery, and hope his physical and mental game will both be unscathed.

@On It 

This golf tournament was being played outdoors, no, and I am guessing there was some wind?  And this was "frightening to watch" for you on your tv set?  What am I missing here?  I bess leave it at that!

john

Phil was about to be the first 50 year old to win the championship. The crowd surged onto the golf course playing area and surrounded him in a sea of bodies. He vanished out of sight, but the camera found him and some security guards trying to push his way toward playing his final shots. I have never seen a golfer surrounded like that. Tiger's big win involved the crowd following him but he never disappeared from sight. The whole issue of possibly being exposed to COVID added another level of threat.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

He shot 64 today (par 72) and had a SIX shot lead on the field heading into the final round tomorrow. He was on track to win $1.674 million for finishing first.

The worst part about this is the incredibly tacky way that he found out about it - on LIVE TV. He was in tears. Shame on CBS. 

@FrostyBabe1    That's a real shame.  They should've slapped a mask on him, told everyone to social distance and let him finish.  Surely everyone else on the course was vaccinated, as much as they travel. I think they over-reacted, especially since they were outside. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't think being fully vaccinated means you are free to do as you please and not be taking chances. 

@Sooner 

As of May 18, the CDC says that fully vaccinated people can

• Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
  • Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic

So it sounds as if he was following the guidelines.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I hate to hear that for him, but the vaccines don't keep you from getting it, is what the nurse who administered the shot told my parents. The vaccines are suppose to keep you from dying from it. I'm not taking chances. I have a family member on a ventilator, he had not been vaccinated, but I'm not taking chances. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

There will always be a chance with any vaccine that you might still be infected. This is a given. But it is highly unlikely. And the overwhelming odds are that you will be asymtomatic or have a very light case.

I post this because some use news like this to disparage the vaccine.

Come ten days from now (not that I'm counting down or anything :-)) here in California, I will keep a mask in my purse but do not plan on wearing it in most situations.

@suzyQ3 

We've tended to agree on most things COVID related, and that goes for this issue, too.  Our mask mandate has ended here and I go maskless more often than not.  I figure that's why I got the shots - to have more freedom. 

I carry my mask with me and judge in each situation whether to wear it.  Going into my dry cleaners which has the door open and is just me and the person behind the counter, I am maskless.  But heading into Walmart, I still wear the mask.

I feel as if this summer is the safest we might be for a while, and I want to take advantage of that.  At any point a new variant could pop up that isn't covered by the vaccines.  And Fall will bring people back together indoors in many parts of the country, which might cause problems with transmission.  So I want to enjoy some  freedom at this point in time.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I don't think being fully vaccinated means you are free to do as you please and not be taking chances. 

@Sooner 

As of May 18, the CDC says that fully vaccinated people can

• Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
  • Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic

So it sounds as if he was following the guidelines.

@shoesnbags Well, as I've said, I am not at all on board with all pronouncements from the CDC--especially since they change more than I have hot lunches. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

He was leading in the final round when he got the news. Rahm is fully vaccinated but came in contact with a person who tested positive. He withdrew from the tournament.

@PickyPicky3 

Why is this even news?? Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"