Respected Contributor

Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

He was leading in the final round when he got the news. Rahm is fully vaccinated but came in contact with a person who tested positive. He withdrew from the tournament.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

I don't think being fully vaccinated means you are free to do as you please and not be taking chances. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pro Golfer Jon Rahm Tests Positive for Covid at Nationwide Memorial Tournament

It's been said a million times, none of the vaccines are 100% effective.  That's why some of us continue to wear masks. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

He shot 64 today (par 72) and had a SIX shot lead on the field heading into the final round tomorrow. He was on track to win $1.674 million for finishing first.

The worst part about this is the incredibly tacky way that he found out about it - on LIVE TV. He was in tears. Shame on CBS. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

What's great is that the odds of him getting severely ill are quite low. That's why I got the vaccine. I hope he sails through it and gets well quickly.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

The good news is that because he is vaccinated, he's probably asymptomatic or having mild symptoms.  I'm sure he values his health far more than a golf tournament.

Honored Contributor

There will always be a chance with any vaccine that you might still be infected. This is a given. But it is highly unlikely. And the overwhelming odds are that you will be asymtomatic or have a very light case.

I post this because some use news like this to disparage the vaccine.

Come ten days from now (not that I'm counting down or anything :-)) here in California, I will keep a mask in my purse but do not plan on wearing it in most situations.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently he learned last week about his exposure through contact tracing. He was allowed to participate in the tournament according to PGA rules. He tested negative all week until today.

Does anyone know if he was required by the PGA to at least wear a mask this week?

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

I don't follow golf so I have no idea who this guy might be. I do follow hockey and I can tell you this. Players are tested frequently/some vaccinated, some not. Many have tested positive and quarantine for 7 days. Then they pass 2 tests and go back to playing.

It is no big deal with any of them that I know of, and no reports of hospitalizations from it. Broken bones or concussions? Yes. The virus? No  

Not sure I follow your point here. I have seen a thread or more in the Wellness/Sports forum about golf and golfers. The only 1 that I posted in was one about where Tiger Woods was such a victim(of his own stupidity).

Should this be something to get comments from contributors here about the whole virus issue? I'm game, just let me know. Virus I know my beliefs, a golfer named Jon Rahm?  Zip/zero, nada.

john

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

At least the gallery is usually not close enough to be exposed. Maybe if he had won, there would have been a convergence of fans.