Honored Contributor

Re: Principal Called Me Today

Some kids might do fine learning online.

It all depends on each child, imo.  And their age.

Older, trustworthy kids might be able to attend school online, without much supervision.  

If mom and dad have to work, I'm guessing that continuous video monitoring might be handy.  

Parents at work can have their gadgets set up and continuously running, making sure their child/children (of older ages) are sitting at their desks, attending online classes.

Usual lunch break, and then, back to class.

Am I being too optimistic?  Maybe not.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

It is his job. That is what he is paid to do.

@Janey2  I don't know how many children are in my grandson's HS, nor in the OP's, but in my local HS, there are 1,000 students in each grade. Whew!

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

It is his job. That is what he is paid to do.

Yes, he shows he cares about his students and staff. 

Honored Contributor

The schools in my town have all decided to have split school sessions (mornings & afternoons) in order to practice safe distancing.  All students must wear masks.  It is now law in N.J.

Parents who do not want want their children inside a building can opt for online classes.  FREE internet & computers are available for those in need.

All school buses will practice safe distancing.  No problem since the school sessions will be split.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Major props to that principal. I am sure school staff everywhere is trying to reassure parents regarding the coming school year. Everyone is learning as we go....no totally right or totally wrong way to do everything. It will be very interesting to see what the coming year looks like.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't have a child or even a grandchild in school but I'm very concerned for the welfare of our youngest citizens.  I feel that we are not only endangering them but will further endanger parents and grandparents with what the kids are likely to bring home.

It seems to me that the concern is not so much for the education of the children but for the economic impact of parents having to stay home to care for and home school them should they not return.  Right now I'm feeling it's insanity for them to be in group settings while the pandemic is raging.  I'd be very concerned if I was a parent.

@Kachina624, I am both heartsick and angry with this decision.  I have two young grandchildren - GD entering 2nd grade and GS entering 7th grade.  They were home-schooled since March.  Inasmuch as I would love to see them assume a normal life, I am very worried about their safety.  I wonder what time of arrangements the children of certain people in the government will have.  Bet it’s quite a bit safer than what the vast number of children (and their teachers and all school workers) will contend with.

Honored Contributor

Wow. It is NOT his job to take time to phone a parent to answer questions, many opt to send out a generic group email or letter. I think he should be commended.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't have a child or even a grandchild in school but I'm very concerned for the welfare of our youngest citizens.  I feel that we are not only endangering them but will further endanger parents and grandparents with what the kids are likely to bring home.

It seems to me that the concern is not so much for the education of the children but for the economic impact of parents having to stay home to care for and home school them should they not return.  Right now I'm feeling it's insanity for them to be in group settings while the pandemic is raging.  I'd be very concerned if I was a parent.

@Kachina624, I'm trying to figure out the real motive for this sudden passion about fully opening all schools.  I have a couple ideas bouncing around in my little head. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, there is an economic impact for sure. However, online learning is so very dependant on the child's parent or caregiver providing supervision and input. Not everyone can homeschool, either because they can't be there or they just don't have the ability. I home schooled my youngest through his junior and senior year of high school. I wrote the curriculum for every subject except Algebra, There were no online schools available. It was the most difficult thing ever did! Also, there are extra curricular activities that are equally important.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    We often have similar ideas.  I bet thoughts bouncing around in your head are very much like those bouncing around in mine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment