Respected Contributor

Princess Eugenie's wedding may not be televised

Of course anything can happen between now and then, but for right now, the wedding will not be televised ......

In the second royal wedding of the year, Princess Eugenie is marrying Jack Brooksbank on October 12. 

Die-hard royal fans will be looking forward to more royal wedding celebrations, but will the next Royal Wedding be on TV?

The Mail on Sunday revealed BBC bosses have rejected the opportunity to broadcast the Royal Wedding due to fears not enough people would tune in. 

According to The Mail on Sunday, Eugenie’s father, Prince Andrew, was attempting to secure a deal with the BBC.

However, after secret meetings with the BBC Andrew was told they would not air the wedding live. 

A source told the Mail on Sunday: “From the outset, the instruction from the very top was that Eugenie’s wedding must be televised."

The BBC was approached because they have a special relationship with Buckingham Palace and a formula that works. But they turned it down because they don’t think enough people will tune in and that there isn’t enough support for the Yorks.

The feeling at the Palace is that the BBC has dropped the ball.

At the end of the day, this is going to be a huge Royal Wedding, with all the senior members of the Royal Family in attendance. But nobody wants to take the risk and spend the money it would cost to put it on air.

The BBC has said they will air footage of the big day on their news channels. 

A BBC spokesperson said to express.co.uk,  “There will be news coverage of the wedding across our services.” 

Sky have also decided not to air the big day, instead, the TV giants will show short clips from the ceremony. 

However, commercial broadcaster ITV could now be poised to step in with full coverage of the royal wedding after Sky said it would only be showing highlights throughout the day.

The lavish wedding is reported to cost the British taxpayer a staggering £2.7million, according to Royal expert Hamish Shephard.

Honored Contributor

Re: Princess Eugenie's wedding may not be televised

I really have to agree that this wedding won't have anywhere near the interest/viewers as the weddings of Diana, Kate and Meghan.

Eugenie is too far down on the 'royal ladder'.

Personally, I have no interest in this wedding, although I did watch the other 3.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't know why it would be.  But then again, now a days, any and everything is filmed, shown, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I think Americans might be more interested in royal weddings than the Brits. It’s true that Eugenie is down the list from William and Harry but she’s still the Queen’s grand daughter. If British TV networks aren’t interested, I’ll bet a deal could be struck with a TLC-type American company...if they have the technology to broadcast it live.

Honored Contributor

I read that on the UK sites, makes sense.  It wouldn't be a big draw here in the US and not even in the UK.  Also Andrew and Fergie are unpopular.   I'd watch because I just have a thing for royal weddings, weddings in general actually.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently the families will pay for the wedding itself and the reception; the taxpayer will be stuck with the bill for security.  And the security estimate got high when Eugenie and Jack insisted on a post-wedding carriage ride down Windsor's High Street, as Harry and Meghan did. 

Some in Britain are outraged that the public should foot the bill for a "minor member" of the Royal Family.  Apparently Eugenie performs no public duties.  I think I'd be outraged too.

Interesting to note that Eugenie and Jack are related -- third cousins once removed.  It's not unusual for royalty to marry close relatives but Eugenie's connection to Jack is on her mother's, Sarah Ferguson's, side, not her father's.

Also, George Clooney and wife Amal are invited to this wedding too; they attended Harry and Meghan's affair this summer.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I really have to agree that this wedding won't have anywhere near the interest/viewers as the weddings of Diana, Kate and Meghan.

Personally, I have no interest in this wedding, although I did watch the other 3.

@KingstonsMom  Totally agree. I would be more surprised if the wedding was aired.

It seems that this wedding has turned into a circus. Eugenie has invited hundreds more to her wedding than Harry did to his. 

Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@KingstonsMom  Totally agree. I would be more surprised if the wedding was aired.

It seems that this wedding has turned into a circus. Eugenie has invited hundreds more to her wedding than Harry did to his. 

@lmt

LOL!

Funny you said that, since I read an article saying her reception will have a 'carnival' theme and she posted a throwback photo of herself as a child, eating cotton candy!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I read that on the UK sites, makes sense.  It wouldn't be a big draw here in the US and not even in the UK.  Also Andrew and Fergie are unpopular.   I'd watch because I just have a thing for royal weddings, weddings in general actually.  

@chrystaltree  Yes, they're both unpopular. It's been said that Andrew is the Queen's favorite, but from what I've read he is loathed in Britain. Supposedly he's had his share of scandals that have been brushed under the rug.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the BBC.  I'd have zero interest in that wedding.