Honored Contributor

Re: Princess Diana would be proud of her boys

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Seeing as how he was only 8 when she died, I don't know how he thought he could've talked about her sooner. That's not something you can talk about after it just happened.

I'm sure Prince Charles and the rest of his family have helped them to the best of their ability.

I think he was 12 but that is still very very young.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the thread, @butterfly123.   I'm always glad when we can talk about mental health issues and try to get some clarity.   I don't believe he meant he necessarily needed to speak openly about it when he was a child.   Evidently, he wasn't able to open up about it as an adult, and he's hoping to raise awareness at a mental health charity event.   This from another article:

“...I really regret not ever talking about it,” he said, referring to his mother’s death in Paris in August 1997. “For the first 28 years of my life, I never talked about it.” He added: “It is O.K. to suffer, but as long as you talk about it. It is not a weakness. Weakness is having a problem, and not recognizing it, and not solving that problem.”

The prince went on to say that mental illness could affect anyone. “I think the key message here is that everyone can suffer from mental health issues, whether you’re a member of the royal family, whether you’re a soldier, whether you’re a sports star,” he said... "

(from:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/world/europe/prince-harry-princess-diana.html?_r=0)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Big Sister wrote:

It's very sad that he was not able to talk about his mother after she died.

Perhaps he only had his brother William and Uncle Spencer to talk to, and maybe not even Spencer. I doubt that Charles and his family encouraged the boys to talk about Diana.

Why would you think this?  Whether or not the parents got along does not mean one parent would ignore the other's existence.

The fact that Charles supported his boys during his former wife's funeral says a lot for his character. 

Didn't Charles personally bring Diana home? 

No one ever claimed Diana wasn't a loving mother.

Respected Contributor

Harry looks so much like Diana's lover James Hewitt, he could be his son

Honored Contributor

Yes, she would be proud of both boys.  They seem very human and not at all phoney.  I think it's good he recognizes what would have benefited the healing process.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Seeing as how he was only 8 when she died, I don't know how he thought he could've talked about her sooner. That's not something you can talk about after it just happened.

I'm sure Prince Charles and the rest of his family have helped them to the best of their ability.

@YorkieonmyPillow  Prince Harry was twelve years old, he remembers his Mother's death.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl Of course he remembers. It would be rather odd if he didn't.....

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@mousiegirl Of course he remembers. It would be rather odd if he didn't.....

@YorkieonmyPillow  You said he was eight, so I just meant since he was twelve he would remember and be able to talk about it if he were allowed.

Honored Contributor

Aren't most mothers proud of their sons, or am I missing something here?

Honored Contributor

SydneyH wrote:

Aren't most mothers proud of their sons, or am I missing something here?

....and i am sure prince charles is proud of the men they have become!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein