Trusted Contributor

I think the statue is great.  She was a tall woman with a great figure and had great presence.  She grew confident over the years, no help from her ex but from her interactions with other people who appreciated her.  The lack of empathy toward her by Prince Charles was the same treatment that Harry got from him and that's why he would say he was his mother's son.  

Honored Contributor

The setting and revamped sunken garden is delightful, the statue less so. Surrounded by children or not, the likeness isn't, to me, a good one or a flattering one. The hair and facial contours are bothersome.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think the concept is a good one, but I think Diana looks rather masculine....not at all like her true self. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I think the concept is a good one, but I think Diana looks rather masculine....not at all like her true self. 

@september  I was reluctant to say so, but I completely agree. I don't agree with the perspective that the only consideration is her son's opinions. The statue is there for posterity and, to me, isn't a good representation.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

FINALLY! A good view of the back of the statue.

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.54.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.54.45 AM.png

The third child - the one running up from behind - is strange.  You don't even see him/her from the front; in fact, I've read articles describing the statue as "Diana and two children."  What's that all about?

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Cakers3 Is that really the original Lucille Ball statue? I have heard about it many times, and how it was not good; but this is the first time I have seen a photo of it. My, oh my!

@World Traveler   I don't know if it is the first one because there is another nice one but this scary Lucy statue did exist.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Bad and good Lucy side by side... I can't believe whoever sculpted the first one had the nerve even to present their version...

lucille-ball-before-after.jpg

Honored Contributor

@stevieb WOW!  Well, the one on the right definitely looks like Lucy. Heart

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

The boy in the front is clearly Black. Look at his hairline. So the kids are not supposed to represent her personal offspring. Just the children of the world. I think it's nice.

I remember she did so much to bring awareness to the problem of land mines across the world.

I've also noticed that bronze, or any other metal, statues rarely look eactly like the people we know from pictures.

Yes and the other two are barefoot - which I guess is supposed to represent poverty?