Honored Contributor

Re: Princess Diana - R.I.P. 18th Anniversary of Her Death

Princess Di will always be my favorite amongst the royals. No one can compare to her grace and presence. (Other than Jackie O., American royalty)

There's so many questions unanswered from that tragic car accident. 

Honored Contributor

About 2 years ago I read a book by the sole survivor, Trevor Rees-Jones.  It was a difficult read.  There have been times he'd wished he had died.  Though Mohamed Al-Fayid paid his hospital bills, he blamed Rees-Jones for Dodi's death.  He tried to block the publication of his book.

There were many rumors that said he survived because he was wearing a seat belt.  This is not true.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

About 2 years ago I read a book by the sole survivor, Trevor Rees-Jones.  It was a difficult read.  There have been times he'd wished he had died.  Though Mohamed Al-Fayid paid his hospital bills, he blamed Rees-Jones for Dodi's death.  He tried to block the publication of his book.

There were many rumors that said he survived because he was wearing a seat belt.  This is not true.

How tragic.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember that Saturday night in 1997 so well.  Watching CNN when it was announced that Princess Diana was in an auto accident in Paris.  First reports indicated she had a broken arm, but sadly later reports mention that Dodi Fayed died.  Then around 12 midnight EST, the report we dreaded to hear - Princess Diana passed away.  I don't usually cry when public figures die, but I cried that night.  She was a breath of fresh air in a monarchy that prided on being reserved at all times.  Truly "The Peoples Princess" and I'll always remember the outpouring of love from people worldwide after her passing, especially the people in the UK.  The funeral was deeply moving, with her two beautiful sons walking in procession.  All I can say is somewhere up there, a Princess is smiling as her sons continue to honor her legacy in all that they do.  And also smiling for her lovely daughter-in-law and of course her adorable grandchildren.

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722 wrote:

... I'll always remember the outpouring of love from people worldwide after her passing, especially the people in the UK.  

@MissRose722   I was watching a show commemorating her today on TV, and according to what was said on the show, over a million people left bouquets of flowers for her at the gates of Kensington Palace.  That's a lot - and that is just describing those who left flowers.   

Super Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@MissRose722 wrote:

... I'll always remember the outpouring of love from people worldwide after her passing, especially the people in the UK.  

@MissRose722   I was watching a show commemorating her today on TV, and according to what was said on the show, over a million people left bouquets of flowers for her at the gates of Kensington Palace.  That's a lot - and that is just describing those who left flowers.   

Thanks so much for mentioning this, Pearlee - remembering all those flowers at Kensington Palace laying there after she passed way - that was a first!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are welcome, MissRose722.  And then I remember a very solemn  Queen walking by and looking at the flowers outside Kensington.  If I recall correctly, while she was doing that a little girl presented the Queen with a bouquet of flowers and said "these are for you"  (as opposed to the masses of flowers on the ground for Diana).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not one to remember where I was when things such as this happen, but when this did, I have very vivid recollection of it.

I had gone home to spend the weekend with my mother.  She and I were sharing girl time and were having a lovely weekend, shopping, eating, chatting, etc.  We were in our night clothes watching t.v. when news of the accident came across. We both had these shocked looks on our faces and looked at each other and said -- oh, no!!  We were glued to the t.v. for hours and hours.  I remember we both cried when we heard she had passed.  Both of us always read about her constantly and were great admirers of her and always had sympathy for her as to what was going on in her life.  We watched all the coverage of the whole event.  She was so beautiful and really that expression of -- the People's Princess --- seemed so accurate.

A couple of years ago, I had a chance to see an exhibit of some of her papers, letters, and gowns, etc. I was thrilled beyond words.  

It was a tragedy to lose her.  She was a very special person - one of a kind.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I read (or heard) somewhere right after the accident that the seatbelts in the backseat were broken.  I saw the surviving bodyguard going into Harrods when I was vacationing in London about 7 months after the wreck.  I wanted to talk to him, but, I just could not do it.  He wrote a book about his incident.

Respected Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

I read (or heard) somewhere right after the accident that the seatbelts in the backseat were broken.  I saw the surviving bodyguard going into Harrods when I was vacationing in London about 7 months after the wreck.  I wanted to talk to him, but, I just could not do it.  He wrote a book about his incident.

Wow really!

Rees-Jones was the only survivor. His face was flattened, with numerous bones broken or crushed. His face was reconstructed from family photographs by maxillofacial surgeon Luc Chikhani, using about 150 pieces of titanium to hold the bones together and recreate the original shape. Within a year, his face was nearly back to normal.