Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Princess Diana - R.I.P. 18th Anniversary of Her Death

Diana never would have married Dodi al Fayed for myriad reasons.

I mean, the headlines alone: "Diana and Dodi!!!!"

????

What would that have been the name of? The next sit-com or kids show on the BBC??

(The theme song alone would have caused Diana to run to the hills).

Dodi was very assuredly enamored with Diana. But he was a person who was a play-ah and who was extremely attracted to celebrity, "Hollywood" and a very fast lifestyle. Being so close to Diana's level of fame must have caused him a swelled...well, head. He'd very likely tell a lot of people he would ask Diana to marry him. That doesn't mean that Diana knew, agreed or was even in the loop regarding any of that - not really.

But Diana is unlikely to have ever remarried anyone until things settled down at Buckingham Palace anyway. And what's ironic is that things never really settled down until after her death.

I also think she would not have remarried until Charles married Camilla. Diana  would have been media savvy enough to know that she would want it out there that it was Charles' decades of carrying on with Camilla that was the source of everyone's problems.

Had she remarried first, she knew enough to know that people would look at it like she wanted out of the marriage in order to do so and on spme level was even abandoning her boys a bit...which wouldn't have quite been accurate.

And you just know that had she married - Dodi or anyone else - first, Charles and/or Camilla would have made it clear to the media: "Well, look who remarried. Not I. Obviously, she was the one with issues. I, on the other hand, have as yet to remarry anyone as you can all plainly seeeeeee."

Charles must have driven Diana NUTS from the get-go with his intentions and ongoing dalliance regarding Camilla. After all, it was he who was carrying on with Camilla for years even before he became engaged to Diana...and when Camilla was cheating on her husband.

I just don't think that despite her occasionally seemingly flighty persona that Diana was a natural cheater. I think she knew of Charles' intentions with Camilla, which was to make her his mistress-w-ore like his predecessors had all done or had. And that would have bugged Diana enough.

But she also knew that he was most willing to see open cheating within marriages as he was the 3rd party in Camilla's marriage for many years.

Cheating destroys a lot (see my thread on Ashley Madison). And this was just a prime example of how deeply and how far the effects of it can run. IMHO.

Honored Contributor

@surfk wrote:

But Diana is unlikely to have ever remarried anyone until things settled down at Buckingham Palace anyway. And what's ironic is that things never really settled down until after her death.

I also think she would not have remarried until Charles married Camilla. 

I disgree.  According to her friends, she really wanted to marry Dr. Hasnet Khan but he didn't want to marry her.  If had had wanted to, she may very well have married him.  I don't think whether she would or wouldn't have married had anything to do with things settling down at the palace.

Honored Contributor

I was watching TV and just about to turn the TV off when the announcer broke in with this story. My heart sank because it hadn't been that long ago that JFK Jr. had died. I knew the underground section in Paris where the accident took place and realized that this was all very bad. I woke right up and watched the TV for hours even after her tragic death was confirmed. 

Of course, I felt terrible for her sons, their grief, and the inevitable media circus. 

But I also had tremendous pangs in my heart as I realized that the loss of Diana meant that the organizations fighting to get land mines removed had lost their most visible worldwide spokeswoman.

And that people with AIDS had lost a vocal supporter who had the ear of the media world. 

Diana did so much good with the forum she had been given. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@surfk wrote:

I also think she would not have remarried until Charles married Camilla. 

I disgree.  According to her friends, she really wanted to marry Dr. Hasnet Khan but he didn't want to marry her.  If had had wanted to, she may very well have married him.  I don't think whether she would or wouldn't have married had anything to do with things settling down at the palace.

I really just don't think she would have remarried. She had no real need to and if she did, I don't think she would have done so as long as her sons were still kids/teenagers.

She knows that a ZOO a remarriage would have meant regarding the media.

I think she probably did love Dr. Khan. But that doesn't necessarily translate into marriage. I think the very things she so admired in him were the same things which gave him the sense not to allow their relationship to proceed in that direction.

Maybe IF he ever did one day marry her, it would have been years later - again maybe post-Charles marrying Camilla and the boys being older. But Charles may never have married Camilla or being given the okay by the Queen (and unofficially) his sons had he not only been divorced from Diana but also something of a quasi-widower after her death.

Had Diana remained alive, who knows what all would have happened. But I don't think things would have unfolded as they did with the lower level of media hype which came to be only after she died. There is little reason to think the frenzy around her would have ever waned even to this day. Things would have just gone on as we saw on the night of her death - the very things which caused Dr. Khan to know better than to allow their own "love" relationship to grow.

And its always said that Diana was gaga over Dr. Khan. While I am sure he must have had great feeling for her in return, its never reeeeeaaaally clear if his love was returned with the same intensity or gusto. He was a deep thinking and steady man. He didn't seem the type to get as swept away in such feelings - as was evidenced by their relationship never really moving forward (as Diana would have liked).

The reasons she was with Dodi are always unclear. They shared an attraction to fun. Perhaps she was learning more of what it would be like or how the world would react if they THOUGHT she was serious about a Muslim. We'll never really quite know what she was thinking. It may have just been that he and his father provided a lot of perks which the Palace would no longer cover. In a sense, he was her 1990s Onassis to her Jackie Kennedy.

Even when people say how Diana would have loved to have seen how William turned out and how she and Kate Middleton would have loved each other...whoknows.

I mean, William may not have turned out as he did had she not died. They may have continued to be bugged by a divorce and not mournful over a death. The media probably would not have ever left them alone as they only agreed to do post-Diana's death. Lots of variable changed when she died.

Its ALL speculation though, of course. I think that is an ingredient which often adds fuel to the fascination with lives cut so short.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

We were watching Saturday Night Live.  Initially, I too thought she'd be all right.  The following week, leading up to her funeral, was so sad.  I cried many tears for this complete stranger.

I can totally relate.   I was home and my sister called and told me to put on the news. ..Diana was in an accident.   There were some other stressful things going on in my life right then, so I think this only served to make me sadder.  I cried every day, and on the day of the funeral,  don't  get me started.   I guess I felt so bad for her because I felt she was trying to find her place in the world.  I was going through a similar  change at that time ....end of relationship,  trying to rebuild my life,  etc.   Plus, to me she was so mesmerizingly beautiful.   I had a coffee table book of photographs of her.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I think Diana was trying to find her home.  I dont think she was ever at peace.  She never felt secure growing up after her parents' divorce.  Then her own marriage failed.  I think she was with Dodi because he was fun and could show her a good time.  I think she missed her kids when they were on holiday with the Royal Family, and being with him was a distraction.   For all her beauty and all the attention  she got, I think at heart she was a lonely person.  I hope in death she found the peace that she didn't  seem to have in life.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

I too remember vividly where I was when I first heard of the tragedy.  I was at a local coffee shop bemoaning my demanding job....That was a real wake-up call to count my blessings while I could.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Respected Contributor

My mother was English and I still have relatives there. The union of Prince Charles and Diana was pretty much an arranged marriage. She and her family were well aware of that fact and expected to benefit from it. Arranged marriages have been a prominent part of royalty in many countries for centuries. It was a plus if love existed or developed between the couple. Mistresses for the husband and lovers for the wives weren't/aren't unusual. Diana was young but she wasn't a fool. She milked the situation for all it was worth and it was plenty. As for beauty, she was tall and thin, always an asset to begin with, in addition to lots of aesthetic help with hair, make-up and big, big money for designer fashion.  She had many nice qualities and also negative traits. Her death was certainly tragic, really heartbreaking. 

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

As for beauty, she was tall and thin, always an asset to begin with, in addition to lots of aesthetic help with hair, make-up and big, big money for designer fashion.  She had many nice qualities and also negative traits. Her death was certainly tragic, really heartbreaking. 

She was one of the few who met probably the biggest requirement at the time (in ye olden days LOL!).   She was (by all accounts) a virgin.  No wonder he had to choose someone so young!

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

I was watching TV and just about to turn the TV off when the announcer broke in with this story. My heart sank because it hadn't been that long ago that JFK Jr. had died. I knew the underground section in Paris where the accident took place and realized that this was all very bad. I woke right up and watched the TV for hours even after her tragic death was confirmed. 

JFK Jr. died in 1999; Diana died in 1997.