Honored Contributor

Princess Diana - R.I.P. 18th Anniversary of Her Death

[ Edited ]

So tonight is the 18th anniversary of Diana being in that traffic accident in Paris and she died on August 31 (at least our time - I know England is ahead timewise).

Where were you when you heard the news?  It was a Saturday night in 1997 and I had been out to dinner at a small country inn about an hour and a half from my home.  I came home, turned on CNN as was my habit, and heard that the princess had been in a car accident and had been injured - there was live coverage.  I remember thinking to myself that those cable news services always blow news out of proportion because they need 24 hrs. worth of news, and that she'd probably had a minor accident, maybe broken her leg or something.  Being wide awake from my out -of-town trip, I stayed up watching and later, when I heard that her companion Dodi Fayed had died, Ithough "uh oh, this may be really serious."   It was hours later that I heard Diana had died - I couldn't believe it.  I was glued to the TV for the next several days.  I remember seeing Prince Charles arrive in Paris and thinking he looked to be in a daze and truly sad and shocked.  

Of course conspiracy theories will forever surround her death, like JFK's.  

And, like JFK, she will be forever young as we picture her.  May she RIP.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Princess Diana - R.I.P. 18th Anniversary of Her Death

I was watching SNL and at first I thought it was skit.....until I heard the details.

Still such a sad, sad memory.....I watched the coverage non stop.

I was hoping it was a mistake.  :'(

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

We were watching Saturday Night Live.  Initially, I too thought she'd be all right.  The following week, leading up to her funeral, was so sad.  I cried many tears for this complete stranger.

Esteemed Contributor

We were watching the A&E channel when it really WAS Arts and Entertainment - a James Taylor concert and I turned the channel during the commercials and saw the story on CNN..

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I will never forget the night she died.

I was in the hospital with kidney failure and we all know that a hospital is the last place to get a good night's sleep, so I was awake, watching tv when the news broke.

I was a big Diana fan and I've read many books about her since her death.

A tragic loss.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Strangely enough, I got a first hint of her death while watching QVC.  One of the hosts (can't remember who) doing a jewelry show on Sun p.m. referred to the "late" Princess Diana.  Wouldn't you know the weekend I decided to take an emotional break from the stresses of local, national & world events by not watching or listening to any news would be the weekend this happened.  Confused, I switched over to CNN & learned the sad truth.

I'm so sorry she had to go too soon.  I'll bet she'd love her DIL, & of course we know she'd adore those grandbabies.  RIP, Diana.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard about it in the morning after she had passed.  It was so shocking, she seemed bigger than life.  It is still hard to believe that she died so very young. I cannot look at William or Harry without thinking about Diana.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I heard about it in the morning after she had passed.  It was so shocking, she seemed bigger than life.  It is still hard to believe that she died so very young. I cannot look at William or Harry without thinking about Diana.

That's true for me when I look at William too, but not Harry. Not meaning to besmirch Diana's memory, esp. on the anniversary of her death, but since you brought this up, I always think Harry looks like Diana's lover (whom she admitted had been her lover)  James Hewitt.

I think Diana would be very, very proud of her two boys and it's sad she isn't alive to enjoy her grandchildren.  I think she and Kate M. would have had a grand time together fashion-shopping!

Honored Contributor

I heard the news on my car radio as I was headed to work for my 11-7 shift at the hospital. 

Esteemed Contributor

My youngest daughter and family were staying with us and we turned on the news. They announced the accident. It sounded very bad. My daughter and I looked at each other and knew it was the end. Soon after they announced Diana's death. It was so sad.