Honored Contributor

Re: Princess Diana - 19th Anniversary of her death

I never read about William or Harry interacting with his mother's side of the family.  I hope Diana's brother has met her grandchildren but I sure haven't read that he has.   

It's more part of the tragedy if Harry and William have been cut off from their maternal relatives.

Honored Contributor

Like many of us I remember the moment I heard of the accident.  Initial reports reported Dodi Fayed's death but reported Diana's injuries were serious but not life threatening.  I remember saying to my husband, I had a feeling she'd die.

Sunday morning I had errands to run and put my hand into my pocket and pulled out a ticket stub from a dinner cruise we'd taken along the Seine the week before.  We boarded at the Pont de l'Alma. (the Alma Bridge)  I remember as we stood in line you could hear and see the cars speed by as the entered the tunnel where the accident took place.  There was a curve and a major dip in the road.  Some of the French drive like maniacs. I still have that ticket stub.

I'm not going to get into a debate about who was at fault in this disastrous marriage.  I think often times when someone dies young, our memories become clouded and we raise the deceased to heights just short of sainthood.

I agree Prince Charles showed a great deal of compassion, love and devotion to his and Diana's boys through an unbearable time in their lives. The cameras caught so many candid shots of the royal family.  I do not believe Prince Charles played to those cameras.  There were moments where his chin quivered.  Whether he loved her or not no one but Charles can say.  I do believe there was a time that he was more than fond of her.

As for whether or not the boys see the Spencers.  Over the years there have been pictures of them attending family gatherings, particularly weddings.  The boys are adults.  I'm sure they can choose to see their mother's family if they want.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry she's gone, but I still think she was one troubled and strange woman.

Respected Contributor

@Imadickens the title of king cannot by law be conferred on the husband of the English monarch. Queen Victoria could not do that for her husband either. Prince Albert and Prince Phillip are princes in their own right. Prince Phillip of Greece, if I remember correctly and Albert was a Prince within the tangled German royalty. However, the title of queen can be conferred on the wife of an English monarch. So there is nothing for Phillip to be embarrassed about in terms of his title. Camilla could be Queen if it is approved through their system, Parliment, I believe.

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@Imadickens the title of king cannot by law be conferred on the husband of the English monarch. Queen Victoria could not do that for her husband either. Prince Albert and Prince Phillip are princes in their own right. Prince Phillip of Greece, if I remember correctly and Albert was a Prince within the tangled German royalty. However, the title of queen can be conferred on the wife of an English monarch. So there is nothing for Phillip to be embarrassed about in terms of his title. Camilla could be Queen if it is approved through their system, Parliment, I believe.

Thanks! That's very interesting! I would never have known that. My apologies to the Royals!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

I vividly remember the night she died. My youngest daughter and family were visiting and we knew it was an awful end. When I was in Paris a few months later, I saw the area where it happened. It was terribly sad.

Respected Contributor

I have been through the "tunnel," which is just a very short segment of a the freeway as you travel into the city. They put the roadway through a small hill rather then blast it away and it is a curving segment. I think you could count 10-15 seconds tops and be through it; I estimate we were driving about 45-50 mph, but it is not a curve that should be taken at any higher speed. The people of France donated money for a gold plated torch above the entrance arch. When the accident happened the supporting pillars were all visible, but they are plastered over as too many people stopped and caused traffic problems at the site of the crash. It was a very sobering moment for me and extremely sad.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

I still blame Prince Charles on her death...his indiscretion was too much for her to endure.

@seaBreeze

Ditto.    I think he's a very cold man.