Honored Contributor

Princess Charlotte and the Butterfly

On a happy note....

a young girl talking on a cell phone: Princess Charlotte holding a red admiral butterfly. (The Duchess of Cambridge / AP)

"We wanted to share these beautiful Peacock and Red Admiral butterflies as part of Big #ButterflyCount initiative taking place across the UK," posted the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge alongside the photo Saturday.

The initiative is an effort by Butterfly Conservation, a British charity, to determine the health of the environment by asking people to count the number of butterflies they see.

"@savebutterflies are encouraging us all to count these incredible creatures because not only are they beautiful creatures to be around but they are also extremely important.

Butterflies are vital parts of the ecosystem as both pollinators and components of the food chain. Hopefully you can beat last year's total, @savebutterflies," the couple wrote, adding a butterfly emoji to the post.

The red admiral butterfly that Charlotte is holding in the photo is found in North and South America, Europe and Asia and is the most popular butterfly in urban areas, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

a small insect on a flower: A red admiral butterfly. (Owen Humpreys / PA Images / Getty Images)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Princess Charlotte and the Butterfly

As an environmentalist I do appreciate this post and I thank you for it!  It is a beautiful picture of Princess Charlotte holding a precious part of the ecosystem.  It is uplifting to see Charlotte lovingly hold this butterfly and learning about nature's gifts.

A very happy note without a doubt!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw 

I LOVE to plant butterfly attracting plants in my yard, they're such a pleasure to see and watch!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

@spiderw 

What a sweet photo.  You can almost feel her excitement and fascination with having that beautiful butterfly in her hands.

She's a darling little girl.

Honored Contributor

KingstonsMomIG

I agree completely with your statement.  You are most kind to plant butterfly attracting plants and appreciate their necessity as well as their beauty!!!!  

Respected Contributor

Beautiful pictures. Along with bees, butterflies and all insects are so important, if we are to survive. We have a seven foot tall butterfly bush with clusters of purplish pink flowers. Every day we see beautiful orange Monarch butterflies. So gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So generous of Kate and William to share natural photos of their children absent staging.  Mom’s excellent photography skills make so much possible.

Princess Charlotte has obviously been taught how precious life is.

@KingstonsMom 

Thank you for sharing.  How is Kingston?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom,

Thanks for posting this sweet picture!

One of my favorite pictures of my youngest daughter is her with a beautiful yellow butterfly that landed on her hand, she looking at it with wonder💛

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@spiderw 

I LOVE to plant butterfly attracting plants in my yard, they're such a pleasure to see and watch!

I have 4 Butterfly bushes in my front yard, and they are full of butterflys all day.These plants need cut down to about 6 inches in early Spring, they also  bloom better if the dead flowers are removed after the bloom is gone.I've had them for 62 years, was my husbands favorite bush. 

Honored Contributor

@HLP 

And I'm sure that every butterfly reminds you of him! What a sweet memory!