Valued Contributor

Re: Prince cause of death as reported by the AP and MN newspaper: Updated

[ Edited ]

WOW!    my husband and I watched a concert on MTV that was recorded AT PAISLEY PARK  at the beginning of 2016 wearing high platforms and jumping around....   quit attacking me!  I AM NOT PUTTING PRINCE DOWN< I ADMIRE THE GENIUS OF HIM  HOWEVER  I am strongly against the glamourizing and making excuses for him just because he is a celebrity....there are plenty plenty of plain old people (on this board no less) who struggle with pain,  who become addicted and sometimes die of overdoses.  MOST drug addicts DO NOT start out saying hey! I think I will become an addict today.  Most addicts are NOT the ones "looking to get high"  YOU get your facts straight.    MOST drug addicts started by taking a script that was perscribed to them by a well meaning doctor for a justifiable reason.   I DO know my facts, I work in the business and have seen and taken care of MORE than my share of addicts,    I watch my MIL struggle with chronic pain every day of her life.  I DO know what it is.  And I DO know what it does to a person,  I ALSO know there is absolutley NO REASON for him to have had liquid INJECTABLE FENTANYL for personal use   (BUT money can and will buy you anything)  It is SAD that he left so soon,  EVRY death of a young person is sad, every death is sad,  But lets call it what it was,  an OD and stop trying to make that OK>

Honored Contributor

@cherzum     

He said the same thing about being celibate to Rolling Stone in 2014.  I honestly think he got distracted when he was working.

Not that this is worth a penny - I was not born with a strong appetite.  I prefer to eat when I am hungry.  Funny thing is, I don't have a robust appetite.  A couple of years ago, when I found out I had some bone density concerns and was diagnosed with a hypothyroid, in order for me to take vitamin D/calcium with food, I had to learn to eat 3 times a day.  Would you believe that I started this at the end of 2013 and I still have to make myself eat 3 times a day, even small meals?

It just don't come to me naturally.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi Stazgirl!  I'm not here to attack you or anybody else.  But I think what we have (well, had) here was what was known as 'playing through the pain'.

Artists and athletes have done it for generations.  Could we all do it?  I say no.  I don't think I could - to that degree, anyway.    But I know a lot of people can and have.

I'm in chronic pain 24/7.  Sometimes it's horrific and sometimes it's manageable (I have a pretty high tolerance for pain).   But everybody is going to be different.  In my own little way, I 'play through the pain' every day.  But when you can have some 'help' with the pain, it makes ALL the difference in being able to do what you are expected to do.  

Esteemed Contributor

There's a photo on the 'net of him riding a bike the night before he died. If he had severe hip pain, I wonder how he did that?

Poor thing! RIP

Valued Contributor

Hey chickenbutt

I UNDERSTAND that well, I get chronic migraines (at least one a month that lasts about 3-4 days),  The current choices of migraine meds make me sick to my stomach, so I seldom take them I have just "learned" to live with it.   So YES, I DO know what everyone is talking about, however, as you know, being in chronic pain, "learning" to livve with it and being able to do all the same things you always did are 2 very different things.  I have seen my MIL"S life quality go way down because of the pain.  She "lives" with it, but can no longer do alot of the things she used to enjoy..Anyway, I no longer come here very often because I get tired of the attacks when people are of a different opinion.  I know my field, I have known plenty f addicts, I know plenty of people in chronic pain, AND YES, I know that there are people out there who "preach" all kinds of things and make people believe it about themselves BUT really, they are living two lives.  VERY few will ever know the story of his death or of the extent of his drug use, where it started and why. OR how he REALLY lived.   I just know, for the sake of everyone, (because opiod use is becoming epidemic and the addiction problem is growing) we NEED to STOP the excuses and the glamorization of it.  Doesn't matter to me WHO it is..ALL lives matter,     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you're right that we won't know the extent of anything, since he's gone now.

I can totally imagine how easy it could be to fall into the addiction of such drugs, when you started out just using them to manage your pain, especially when you have such easy and plentiful access to the meds.

One thing that a lot of people who have never been addicted (I never have because I am weird with practicality) may not know is that when you try to stop taking them what you feel isn't just the pain back again, but it's this horrific feeling throughout your body that I don't even think I could explain.  Suffice to say that it makes you absolutely crazy with wanting that horrible feeling to go away, along with the pain.

Also, it's an unfortunate reality that the more you take it, the more of it you need to take.  It's a vicious circle with nowhere good left to go.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Q. For those unfamiliar with pain, who take it so casually and think they could handle it so well, I ask you to ponder why torture works so often.

A.  Pain.  People can't take the pain, even many trained warriors.

@Noel7

Excellent example.   Some people just don't understand that there's pain ... and then there's PAIN.

Honored Contributor

I just heard on HLN that  Fentanyl is being used as a "cut" in heroin. The users don't know it and many of them are dying from their fixes. Horrible.Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

Altogether a sad situation.  Too bad he was in so much pain that he resorted to such extreme measures.  Brings a whole new meaning to "workaholic" doesn't it?  I can understand how some people are just driven to excel at their craft, but what's it all for if they die young & never get to benefit from all their hard work?

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just heard on HLN that  Fentanyl is being used as a "cut" in heroin. The users don't know it and many of them are dying from their fixes. Horrible.Smiley Surprised

And sadly, once it's known, that's the stuff they are out to buy.