Honored Contributor

Re: Prince cause of death as reported by the AP and MN newspaper: Updated

[ Edited ]

@stazgirl wrote:

I think I may have more empathy for those truly in pain,

I agree, for those "TRULY" in pain,   But "truly in pain generally does not and can not get up on a stage and jump around doing wild antics for 2-3 hours as he was still doing...My MIL is "truly" in pain and most days she can not get out of bed, let alone, even think about "jumping around" 

I have alot of empathy for people in pain, but pain is subjective,   

@stazgirl

Pain most certainly is NOT subjective, it can be measured.

You really are unfamiliar with this entire subject.

Honored Contributor

Re: Prince cause of death as reported by the AP and MN newspaper: Updated

!  IDK where people get drugs, lol!  You have to have your legs removed without anesthetic before Doctors around here will write out pain meds.  They don't even hand out pain meds with most out patients surgeries.  They say, take Advil .  Doctors here are even finicky about recommending  acetaminophen

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I once was addicted...not to rx drugs but to something more scandalous. I lost control of my life, lost friends, and a good job. I lost my best friend who was the one person who saved my life...she is now passed away and I never got the chance to thank her. 

@Addiction is very strange and strangely strong

@SilleeMee I applaud you!!!! Addiction IS very strange, very powerful, and destructive.  I'm sure it's a daily struggle. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I was truly hoping this was not true when the first rumors came out - I would have thought he would have been smart enough not to take something like that - I guess when you are in great pain you go to great lengths to get rid of it.   These doctors need to be dealt with - they should have known he was in trouble and I hope they are indicted for their part in his death

@hoosieroriginal

When someone is dealing with serious, ongoing chronic pain, "intelligence" goes right out the window.

As for the doctors, Prince could have seen several for a variety of prescriptions and not disclosed to them he was also getting meds from other various sources.   So how could they be at fault if important information was being deliberately withheld?  

The only safety mechanism that could have been in place at this point was if he had all prescriptions filled at the same place every time .... a pharmacist might have been able to predict a potential problem.    

On the other hand,  if you are filling a reasonable amount over a reasonable time period ...  and then just take way too many pills, the only person at fault is the person who overdoses.  

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Is Fentanyl an injectible or a pill?

@bri20 wrote:

Is Fentanyl an injectible or a pill?

Shoekitty said

Hi bri, don't know if someone answered but I have heard Fentynal is available as injection, nasal spray, patch and lozenge.  I have never heard of anyone taking it outside surgery though

Honored Contributor

I have a feeling the Prince Camp had a lot of "Yes" Men.

No too many 'No's' had a chance to see the light of day.

It's unfortunate, but using a 'Prince-ism', 

prescription drugs & abuse is just a "Sign 'O the Times".

Honored Contributor

I don't know if they have it in MN but where I lived, they keep records at the state level on narcotic rxs so they can track individuals and the Drs that write them. I learned this when I had cancer and was given opiates for pain. I also do not think that people should be refused opiates if they need them. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I always thought Fentanyl was used in surgery to knock people out.  What was he doing with it at home.  I believe this is what killed Michael Jackson as well.  I remember the news reports about how Jackson's doctor should not have allowed it in the house.  There likely was also an issue with his doctor using it at all, since he was not an anesthesiologist, but I'm not certain of that.

The saddest part is that someone was arriving I think within hours to help him deal with his addiction.  How horrible!

I'm having dental surgery in four weeks.  I told the dentist I don't want that Percocet or whatever it is.  I'm going to maybe find an extra-strength aspirin to take if I need it.  I'm afraid of those drugs.  They are essential for people with serious conditions that can't be dealt with any other way.  It's better to avoid them at all other times.

@Ms X

First of all, MJ was taking Propofol.    I just had it for sedation for a lumbar epidural about 6 weeks ago.  My anesthesiologist said it's really an excellent sedation drug, but should never be used outside a hospital.   You go under fast and wake up fast, with few side effects.  In Jackson's case, it was misused.

Secondly, if you're having dental surgery, you should stop taking any aspirin days before as there can be a bleeding problem.   No reason you can't have a pain killer prescribed for the two days following the surgery, with no refills.  Not much danger there.    It's all about pain management.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I was truly hoping this was not true when the first rumors came out - I would have thought he would have been smart enough not to take something like that - I guess when you are in great pain you go to great lengths to get rid of it.   These doctors need to be dealt with - they should have known he was in trouble and I hope they are indicted for their part in his death

@hoosieroriginal

When someone is dealing with serious, ongoing chronic pain, "intelligence" goes right out the window.

As for the doctors, Prince could have seen several for a variety of prescriptions and not disclosed to them he was also getting meds from other various sources.   So how could they be at fault if important information was being deliberately withheld?  

The only safety mechanism that could have been in place at this point was if he had all prescriptions filled at the same place every time .... a pharmacist might have been able to predict a potential problem.    

On the other hand,  if you are filling a reasonable amount over a reasonable time period ...  and then just take way too many pills, the only person at fault is the person who overdoses.  

@Tinkrbl44 - I'm sorry - I have more control of my body than that.  I would NEVER put anything like that in my body, no matter how much in pain I was - I respect the body I was given - I don't take drugs - I would treat it more naturally - he had the money to do that. 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

Just wanted to chime in and thank those who have posted for keeping this 'above the line'. 

When I read the tribune article (I realize it is not the formal statement on the autopsy), I started to tear up again.  My heart is so heavy with the thought of him being left alone in that big building in such a frail condition.  I realize hindsight is 20/20 but I can't help but wonder, what if someone had been there?

@Bird mama

I know you are a fan of Prince, as I am.  Thank you for your kind and gentle comments.  Opioid addiction has many faces, including my mom.  

@magicmoodz

Thanks for such nice words magicmoodz.  We were, are and will continue to be his 'fams'.  I have some experience with fentanyl , not as a first hand patient or consumer of it, but as a family member.  I know a couple of people who have struggled with opiod addiction.  Aside from being once of Prince's fams, perhaps knowing family who have struggled with the same thing adds to my sadness and makes me sympathic.

I gotta tell you, one thing I have always loved about Prince is he 'got' women. I think women more than men 'got' him.  When he came out with Art Official Age in 2014 and re-introduced "Camille' except this 'Camille' sort of sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk, he, he, I thought, baby, you are really testing my overall devotion.  

And then he sang a song that hand the line - You know you want me like a new pair of shoes.  (I have a thing for shoes).  I felt like he was talkin to me and I said, okay Camille can stay, I forgive you Prince, as you were :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise