Honored Contributor

@stazgirl wrote:

He MAY NOT have been "in pain"/ after all, he STILL performed the same as always,  Fentanyl is extremely powerful, It is used mainly in surgical anesthsia,  HOWEVER, once an addict of opiods builds up a tolerance to the "common narcotics" they look for something stronger to give the same effect.  The same as MJ, He found a doctor to prescribe it for home use, MJ was propaphol, also a very strong anesthestic.   With ALL of his money, he COULD easily find a dcotor to perscribe what he wanted,  we will never know the truth, whether he was a closet addict (afterall, part of his appeal was his "drug free" lifestyle.   BUT I still refuse to release him from blame.  He is an ADULT and no one can convince me that he did not know he was taking a strong SURGICAL ANESTHETIC drug...  AND YES, I work in the medical field and have seen plenty of "true and closeted addicts" in my time, AND several Drs and other health care professionals who were addicted to narcotics and moved up the ranks to stealing Fentanyl  .... it is not as uncommon as people like to think,

I think I may have more empathy for those truly in pain.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

Re: Prince cause of death as reported by the AP and MN newspaper: Updated

What I find sad is the fact that any joe shoe on the street can use and they automaticaly are TRASH, BUT when it is a celebrity, EVERYONE starts making "excuses" for him..and put him on a "poor poor baby" "lets find who is responsible" pedastal...they are no different then anyone else.  An ADDICT is an addict. THE ADDICT IS RESPONSIBLE.. Society as a whole needs to STOP glamourizing and making excuses just because someone has money.  Drugs are drugs,  you play, you pay. You use to much, it is not a matter of "if" but "when".... LOTS of responsible people in ALOT of pain turn to alternative methods to control it,  Prince could have also, he had access to new methods that the average person can not afford, He DID NOT have to turn to a powerful surgical anesthetic.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would suggest that those who are not in chronic pain should not be the first to cast a stone.

People should never want to cast a stone, imo.  Someone died.  A wonderful artist who should be mourned--a creative genius.

Very easy to overdose on painkillers if one is in chronic pain. No one who isn't in chronic pain has any right to judge, especially so harshly as some here. 

Just my thoughts. 

Valued Contributor

I think I may have more empathy for those truly in pain,

I agree, for those "TRULY" in pain,   But "truly in pain generally does not and can not get up on a stage and jump around doing wild antics for 2-3 hours as he was still doing...My MIL is "truly" in pain and most days she can not get out of bed, let alone, even think about "jumping around" 

I have alot of empathy for people in pain, but pain is subjective,   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prince cause of death

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Just wanted to chime in and thank those who have posted for keeping this 'above the line'. 

When I read the tribune article (I realize it is not the formal statement on the autopsy), I started to tear up again.  My heart is so heavy with the thought of him being left alone in that big building in such a frail condition.  I realize hindsight is 20/20 but I can't help but wonder, what if someone had been there?

@Bird mama

I know you are a fan of Prince, as I am.  Thank you for your kind and gentle comments.  Opioid addiction has many faces, including my mom.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone who thinks they can judge who is "TRULY" in pain is delusional. No one knows what someone else is feeling.  Certainly no total stranger.

Sure, Prince was using recreational pain-killers.  He was having a blast with those opiate drugs. 

Nothing is less likely, but it sounds good on a chat line.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Very sad! I just don't understand the appeal of painkillers. Apparently, this is a national epidemic right now. I don't get it.....

You don't understand the appeal of getting relief from chronic pain? It should be obvious. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Well it didn't take long for the vultures to show up did it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Well it didn't take long for the vultures to show up did it. 

-------------

Who do you mean?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I once was addicted...not to rx drugs but to something more scandalous. I lost control of my life, lost friends, and a good job. I lost my best friend who was the one person who saved my life...she is now passed away and I never got the chance to thank her. 

Addiction is very strange and strangely strong.