Super Contributor

@LIndaMJ wrote:

I'm thinking since he needed hip replacement surgery and did not have it for one reason or another, the pain became brutal and hence he needed these powerful pain killers to perform. And then unfortunately his body built up an immunity to them and he needed more. As you have all said, how very sad😿.

That is not true. He did have double hip replacement  surgery several years ago but he still had pain.

New Contributor

I have been a big Prince fan since the early 80's.  He was especially talented with a love for music that was just HIM.  I have been a pain patient for most of this year and have been very very careful with what I would take and how often.  I did not want to become addicted and from what feedback I get from doctors and therapist is that I am using the Meds properly. Yesterday was exciting for me because it was the last pre-op prescription I needed.  I am having surgery next week and will look forward to post-op pain Meds because I will be able to get off of them.  Living in pain even with Meds is a really hard work and exhausting.  It is just so sad that Prince didn't have someone with him 24 hours a day that week with narcan on hand.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

image.jpeg

Any time I see "unnamed or unidentified sources"?  I will believe it when I see/hear by someone not afraid to attach their name and job title to what they have to say.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@ToriT wrote:

I have been a big Prince fan since the early 80's.  He was especially talented with a love for music that was just HIM.  I have been a pain patient for most of this year and have been very very careful with what I would take and how often.  I did not want to become addicted and from what feedback I get from doctors and therapist is that I am using the Meds properly. Yesterday was exciting for me because it was the last pre-op prescription I needed.  I am having surgery next week and will look forward to post-op pain Meds because I will be able to get off of them.  Living in pain even with Meds is a really hard work and exhausting.  It is just so sad that Prince didn't have someone with him 24 hours a day that week with narcan on hand.

Tori, welcome to the boards!

Good luck with your surgery. I hope that you have a rapid recovery. And I agree with you, if only someone had been there when Prince was suffering....

Respected Contributor

@ToriT wrote:

@ToriT Good luck with your surgery next week!!!
Honored Contributor

So very sad.

Years ago when I was having a lot of pain my doc gave me a rx for a non-opioid pain killer. My doc told me that one day I will thank him for doing so. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Very sad! I just don't understand the appeal of painkillers. Apparently, this is a national epidemic right now. I don't get it.....

Many people do get addicted because of actual pain. They sustain injuries or have chronic conditions that wear on them, and they take the meds to aleviate the pain, the become addicted.

Don't know the particulars of his use, but it very often happens because of actual pain.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Lupus comes with a lot of pain: joints, sharp pain in the lungs, hands, migraines, unbelievable pain in the ribs, so great it feels like a massive heart attack, on and on.

A lot of Lupus treatment is pain management, most of which I cannot take.  I'm ok with morphine when I'm in the hospital and it's managed, but I want nothing at home.

Sometimes it's overwhelming, but I don't want to go the route of opioids. 

I've read that staggering two OTC pain killers really helps so I do that.  I risk liver damage, but sometimes I take the chance.

Honored Contributor

@ToriT      

I echo a warm welcome to the Community :-)  I sincerely hope that your surgery has a favorable outcome and that you are able to enjoy life with less pain.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I was truly hoping this was not true when the first rumors came out - I would have thought he would have been smart enough not to take something like that - I guess when you are in great pain you go to great lengths to get rid of it.   These doctors need to be dealt with - they should have known he was in trouble and I hope they are indicted for their part in his death.