Honored Contributor

Prince cause of death as reported by the AP and MN newspaper: Updated

[ Edited ]

image.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

It is so sad that taking too many painkillers could lead to Prince's death. I'm not surprised but I am saddened by what happened.

Esteemed Contributor

Very sad! I just don't understand the appeal of painkillers. Apparently, this is a national epidemic right now. I don't get it.....

Respected Contributor

Opiods are powerfully addicting.  I wish there was some way to stop people from starting on them in the first place.  Too many lives, both young and old, are being lost.  Very sad.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking since he needed hip replacement surgery and did not have it for one reason or another, the pain became brutal and hence he needed these powerful pain killers to perform. And then unfortunately his body built up an immunity to them and he needed more. As you have all said, how very sad😿.

Honored Contributor

@LIndaMJ wrote:

I'm thinking since he needed hip replacement surgery and did not have it for one reason or another, the pain became brutal and hence he needed these powerful pain killers to perform. And then unfortunately his body built up an immunity to them and he needed more. As you have all said, how very sad😿.

Yes, I think you are right. And given the amount of activity in his stage performances I read that he was often in agony afterwards.

I just miss him.....He was a legend like no other.. I saw him perform many years ago and I will never forget how talented he was.

Trusted Contributor

I have watched my husband live with chronic pain for 4 years from nerve damage after prostate cancer surgery and radiation.  He takes 4 different pain medicines. Until you watch someone you love deal with pain on a daily basis and see the amount of pain that is reduced from these drugs then you really don't understand how someone can get addicted to them. 

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to chime in and thank those who have posted for keeping this 'above the line'. 

When I read the tribune article (I realize it is not the formal statement on the autopsy), I started to tear up again.  My heart is so heavy with the thought of him being left alone in that big building in such a frail condition.  I realize hindsight is 20/20 but I can't help but wonder, what if someone had been there?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Prince cause of death

[ Edited ]

Pain management is so so important with terminal and or chronic pain.  I have worked in hospice and fentanyl was usually used as a patch ....which continually supplies dosage. Then for breakthrough pain another pain med was used.   Under proper visiting nurse care and physician oversight there would be minimal risk of dependence.  Unfortunately, people become easily addicted without supervision.   Now the investigation of who were the docs that prescribed all the stuff.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

I have watched my husband live with chronic pain for 4 years from nerve damage after prostate cancer surgery and radiation.  He takes 4 different pain medicines. Until you watch someone you love deal with pain on a daily basis and see the amount of pain that is reduced from these drugs then you really don't understand how someone can get addicted to them. 

Lori Kaye, you touch on a point that is so very true. Chronic pain is extremely difficult to live with. Thankfully, your husband has you in his life.... I know it cannot be easy for either of you..