Occasional Contributor

Re: Prince William Wears Yarmulke At Wailing Wall

@jackthebear wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Image result for princessAlice

Alice of Battenburg was born in 1885 so that is probably another Princess Alice,  that outfit is more 1860- to late 70s

This is a portrait of Princess Alice of the United Kingdom (1843-1878), daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Honored Contributor

@quietly7 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Image result for princessAlice

Alice of Battenburg was born in 1885 so that is probably another Princess Alice,  that outfit is more 1860- to late 70s

This is a portrait of Princess Alice of the United Kingdom (1843-1878), daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

And of course she must be wearing Battenburg lace!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Very touching & respectful of him !!  Thanks for posting!!

@NicksmomESQ  You are welcome.

Being Jewish myself, I don't mean this in a flip way, but I think he looks great in the yarmulke, esp. since he is balding.  I have to admit, though, that it looks incongruous to see a future King of England and head of the Church of England wearing a yarmulke.

I'm Jewish too, and I don't see anything incongruous about it.  High-level religious leaders often show respect for other religions in similar ways.  I wouldn't expect anything less from someone in William's position.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And can you imagine the hue and cry if he DIDN'T wear a yamulke? I'm not insinuationg anything about his motives; just remarking on the result if he (or any other high-profile person) hadn't worn a yamulke.

Honored Contributor

The title of the thread confused me a little.  Just my opinion, but to me I think it captured the secondary point of the photo, instead of the primary focus -- Prince William Visits the Wailing Wall.   I would not have even thought to remark on the yarmulke he's wearing because I take for granted that visiting male dignitaires all wear yarmulkes at the wailing wall, out of respect.  I guess it's all in perspective.

Respected Contributor

small point but since Israel recaptured Jerusalem in 1967, including Temple Mount, the remaining retaining wall of the ancient Temple is called the Western Wall.  HaKotel haMaravi in Hebrew.  fortunately "wailing" and the sadness disappeared when Jews could return to their most sacred site to pray.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

small point but since Israel recaptured Jerusalem in 1967, including Temple Mount, the remaining retaining wall of the ancient Temple is called the Western Wall.  HaKotel haMaravi in Hebrew.  fortunately "wailing" and the sadness disappeared when Jews could return to their most sacred site to pray.

For many people, it will always be known as the Wailing Wall.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

For many people, it will always be known as the Wailing Wall.

@Pearlee 

yes some do. usually older people, some Christians and the British in particular. the Arabs called it "the weeping place."

when i first visited Jerusalem - the first of many trips- i used  "Wailing Wall" and was quickly corrected by my Israeli guide.  for Israelis, reclaiming this site is a cause for celebration. and of course the Wall has a very old Hebrew name going back about 1000 years which translates to "The Western Wall.."

Esteemed Contributor

Delightful to read news like this. Breath of fresh air. Thank you for posting. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

With all due respect to the Royal Family, are they really helping anybody?  It seems like a lot of speeches, bringing awareness so others can donate, attending ceremonies, and lot of photo ops.

I am sure their likeness sells a lot of commemorative dishware, tea towels, and other British souvenirs.  But considering the cost of keeping the royal family going and all that goes with it, is it worth it?  Just wondering your thoughts.

We are supposed to pretend that it is, but honestly.....I think the whole monarchy is a farce.