Honored Contributor

Re: Prince William Wears Yarmulke At Wailing Wall

That picture is Princess Alice. The mother of Prince Phillip

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips Respectfully,  I've also wondered how the common man really feels regarding the Royal Family.   Those who support the RF will most likely believe that most do.  It would be interesting if there was a way to know factually, not just an opinion, and if there have been changes over the years as to favorable opinion of the royal family.  Like you, I'm not stating an opinion but I have thought about it.

I just read @Pearlee 's comment on this topic and I agree that this is probably worthy of another thread.  Unfortunately, it would probably disintegrate into opinions pro and con without any objective resolution.  So, thanks Pearly, I will leave it at this.

@Puppy Lips wrote:

With all due respect to the Royal Family, are they really helping anybody?  It seems like a lot of speeches, bringing awareness so others can donate, attending ceremonies, and lot of photo ops.

I am sure their likeness sells a lot of commemorative dishware, tea towels, and other British souvenirs.  But considering the cost of keeping the royal family going and all that goes with it, is it worth it?  Just wondering your thoughts.

Super Contributor

@Pearlee

I am Jewish also. This is called respectful of the faith and the country. President Trump did the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Image result for princessAlice

Alice of Battenburg was born in 1885 so that is probably another Princess Alice,  that outfit is more 1860- to late 70s

Honored Contributor

I looked her up just now ,she was much prettier than that picture,if that is her, there is one of her and sisters with family members. She had a mental illness ,after that she and husband lived a part, she helped the poor.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Heads of state and others do properly wear a yarmulke at the Wall-- it's always quite moving.  It's neat that, although not a head of state, (yet) William showed his respect as many do.

I have read that the British royal family has some Jewish ancestry, but you would have to go back 20 generations or more to find it.  Of course the monarch heads up the Church of England now, but these little tidbits are so fascinating...

Another interesting thing, this time relating to the royals' ethnicity rather than religion, is the family background of Prince Philip.  I always thought it interesting that he held Greek citizenship at birth, but was German and Danish through his parents, and ultimately became a British prince!  Of course, culturally, all during his peripatetic youth, he had strong English influences through relatives, and I think he was strongly influenced by the elite Gordonstoun school in Scotland that he attended...

English royalty has a lot more cosmopolitan influences than one would at first realize, part of what makes it such a compelling study, I suppose...   

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

The showed the respect that was expected of him, Barack Obama also was a Yarmulke at the wall as well

Exactly. 

Many people have done the same.  This is a lovely photo, and I'm Jewish so I appreciate it, but it's not at all unusual.  It's simply the same kind of show of respect that people (especially world leaders, etc) demonstrate all the time, both at the Wailing Wall and elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Very touching & respectful of him !!  Thanks for posting!!

@NicksmomESQ  You are welcome.

Being Jewish myself, I don't mean this in a flip way, but I think he looks great in the yarmulke, esp. since he is balding.  I have to admit, though, that it looks incongruous to see a future King of England and head of the Church of England wearing a yarmulke.

I'm Jewish too, and I don't see anything incongruous about it.  High-level religious leaders often show respect for other religions in similar ways.  I wouldn't expect anything less from someone in William's position.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

With all due respect to the Royal Family, are they really helping anybody?  It seems like a lot of speeches, bringing awareness so others can donate, attending ceremonies, and lot of photo ops.

I am sure their likeness sells a lot of commemorative dishware, tea towels, and other British souvenirs.  But considering the cost of keeping the royal family going and all that goes with it, is it worth it?  Just wondering your thoughts.

The royals are considered the goodwill ambassadors and the official symbols of the UK. They have a lot of money, but their presence brings in tons of money for the Kingdom. The Brits have been asked about the future of the monarchy, and each time they have responded with a loyalty and adherence to tradition.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn’t expect anything less of him for wearing a yarmulke.