Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Phllip Car Crash/Unhurt

Motorcycle helmets are mandatory in CA and should be in every state.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ I didn't know that, thank you. I did know you can't pump your gas yourself in NJ.

huh? I don't understand. ?

@occasionalrain

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ I didn't know that, thank you. I did know you can't pump your gas yourself in NJ.

huh? I don't understand. ?

@occasionalrain

@SharkE.  Attendants pump your gas for you. You are not allowed by NJ law.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why? I don't get the theory ?

I would love it though since I don't pump my own hahhahahah

I want it in texas !   Bet the price is higher though

@proudlyfromNJ

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

@SharkE.  Usually gas in NJ is cheaper than in NY where you have to pump yourself. Lately though it hasn’t been that way.

Actually I don’t think the price is raised because of who pumps it.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

as are many things these days, it got "political."

New Jersey is one of only two states where it's illegal to pump your own gas. This dates back to 1949 when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act, primarily over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves.

The passage of the Act was motivated by something a little less pure than safety: money. In the 1940s, when self-service was unheard of in most of the country, a gas station owner named Irving Reingold offered lower prices to customers willing to pump their own gas. The gimmick was wildly popular and soon became a threat to competing gas stations. According to Bergen County's The Record, "rival station owners reacted by persuading state lawmakers to outlaw self-serve," and the state legislature made Reingold's tactics illegal.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/74549/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-new-jersey

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

@SharkE.  Usually gas in NJ is cheaper than in NY where you have to pump yourself. Lately though it hasn’t been that way.

Actually I don’t think the price is raised because of who pumps it.

I thought I heard it all guess still some things this ol' spaniel hasn't heard yet hahahha  I would kill for old time days of cleaning windshield and the full service. Your lucky !  I had a young girl help and show me how to do it one time after I went in and gave her a 20 for gas to just practice with. LOL nobody could find the gas cap release button ROFL  I thought I'd better learn in case husband kicks

Honored Contributor

Not allowed to pump in Oregon. It’s come up for vote and gets voted down so far every time, a big argument being the desire to keep the jobs of gas attendants.
Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The Queen still drives and doesn't wear a seat belt either. I don't think seat belts should be mandatory for adults just as helmets are no longer mandatory for riding motorcycles. Maybe Philip has a medical exemption.

@occasionalrain.  Helmets are mandatory in NY and NJ.

helmets are mandatory in maryland.

Currently, 19 states and the District of Columbia have laws requiring all riders (operators and passengers) to wear a helmet, known as universal helmet laws. Laws requiring only some motorcyclists to wear a helmet are in place in 28 states

I got stopped twice for not wearing a seatbelt, once in my 30s, once in my 40s (i do wear a seatbelt at all times now - in my 60s).  The bikers i know feel it should be their choice on wearing a helmet.  I really don't know whether or not the helmet law makes sense.  But I do i think they should be free to ride without one.

That said...

Anecdotal story:  Back when i lived in the woods of western Pennsylvania, we all had all-terrain 4-wheelers for sport, exploring, & camping in pretty remote areas.  One day, a dear friend of ours was happy to share that he had just bought a new helmet for $10.  My then-husband replied:  "I guess that's alright, if you figure you got a ten-dollar head."

That always stuck with me!  Blessings to everyone on wheels today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Regarding Prince Philip - just SMH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )