Respected Contributor

Re: Prince Phllip Car Crash/Unhurt

Boy would I love my very own driver!  I would never drive.  On James.  My personal opinion is that no one of that age should be driving.  

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Drivers, well competitant ones, notice a car waiting to pull out of a driveway or business, a person or animal waiting to cross the road, slow down and expect that perhaps that driver, person, or animal will not see them and pull out. Safe drivers expect the unexpected. In this case it wasn't unexpected.

The police will measure skid marks and be able to determine her speed and just when she braked, if she did.

If someone runs a stop sign or a red light it doesn't matter if the other drive braked. Of course most woud brake to avoid an accident. But if Philip pulled out from a private drive onto a public road that had a 60 MPH speed limit directly into the path of oncoming traffic and the other driver hit him I hardly see how he would not be at fault. Jus thappy to hear that no one was seriously hurt. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too am bothered by glare hitting my windshield and have purchased every type of sunglasses out there but none do the job. Purchased the ones worn by pilots and recently purchased the ones worn by our military Navy Seals but no, that sun still blinds me. 

Living on an east - west street doesn't help and on occasion have had to lower my window and crane my neck to make sure it was safe to proceed.  I realize not everyone is bothered by intense glare hitting the glass but it has nothing to do with age as it's always been that way for me since I started driving at age 16.  

Though I am not elderly I would think that if someone can pass a driver's test (not just a written exam) they should be allowed to continue driving. 

I too have seen moronic people reading texts from their phones meanwhile traffic is backed up because they're not moving and then the light turns red.  

Honored Contributor

I’m sure Prince Phillip will never hear the end of this.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I’m sure Prince Phillip will never hear the end of this.

True, the Queen won't let it go.  Philip will have to go back into hiding.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

That poor old soul probably don't know where he is any more why she took him out of public appearances and out of the public eye. I just now saw on Inside Edition he's already got a new car ! 

Once Prince Charles takes over if Philip would still be alive and the Queen would be gone first. Charles will handle it.

Super Contributor

The elderly have such a difficult time giving up their independence.  The good thing about it is that they usually stay more active and live longer.  The down side is that they don't recognize their own limits.  I see it with my own mother at 83.  She is convinced all the other drivers on the road are at fault for one thing or another and she is a perfect driver.  The reality is that her reflexes are too slow, she is far too cautious and makes other drivers angry, she can't drive in traffic because it overwhelms her, and gets so distracted by expired tags she can't pay proper attention to her driving.  We are fortunate that she knows her driving days are numbered.  

At his age, Philip should not be driving.  He may be as sharp as a tack mentally, but I think it would be extraordinary for a 97-year-old to have quick enough reflexes to be able to drive on public roads.  He is most fortunate that he has access to private property where he can drive to his heart's content if his family wants to allow it.  It must be very stifling to be a royal, and I am sure Philip has felt that more than any other as a man having to follow the orders of his wife, always walking a step behind her.  I understand where is must be coming from.  It would be a shame if his death came from an auto accident as opposed to natural causes. 

Valued Contributor

This week in my area a 96 year old woman was carried out of her car by two passers by just 10 seconds before a train hit her car. She had driven onto the tracks and got stuck. Apparently she had been reported missing from home about twelve hours earlier.

Honored Contributor

Today the Queen was seen driving on a public road without wearing a seatbelt.  It was less than a mile from the location of her husband's mishap.  What's going on with those two??

By the way, the Queen doesn't have a driver's license.  She's the only person in Britain that isn't required to have one.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Today the Queen was seen driving on a public road without wearing a seatbelt.  It was less than a mile from the location of her husband's mishap.  What's going on with those two??

By the way, the Queen doesn't have a driver's license.  She's the only person in Britain that isn't required to have one.

prince philip has also been spotted driving his new car without wearing a seatbelt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein