Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Phllip Car Crash/Unhurt

@jonbon wrote:

Hmmm -- think I'll wait to hear what actually happened before coming (jumping?) to any conclusions.

Fair enough.

Honored Contributor

She crashed into him so likely she was distracted and her reflexes failed her. Considering that she hit his car with a force that rolled a heavy Landrover, she must have been going really fast, never slowed or braked.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

She crashed into him so likely she was distracted and her reflexes failed her. Considering that she hit his car with a force that rolled a heavy Landrover, she must have been going really fast, never slowed or braked.

@occasionalrain

Actually according to the news reports, HE pulled out in front of her, saying the sun was in his eyes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Drivers, well competitant ones, notice a car waiting to pull out of a driveway or business, a person or animal waiting to cross the road, slow down and expect that perhaps that driver, person, or animal will not see them and pull out. Safe drivers expect the unexpected. In this case it wasn't unexpected.

The police will measure skid marks and be able to determine her speed and just when she braked, if she did.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know much about the accident, but think it's remarkable he was able to walk away unhurt.  It's as if he's indestructible. 

Respected Contributor

He is 97 and driving?  I’m sorry, but perception and reflexes are just not up to par at that age. Shame no one dealt with it before the crash. Lucky it wasn’t worse- 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

He was pulling out from a private drive onto a major highway. They haven't said who was at fault but unless there was a stop light that she ran it sounds like he was probably the one at fault. 

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps, he should not be driving anymore.

Super Contributor

Good thing he didn’t run into one of those crazy Markle relatives. I’m surprised he didn’t at least have a security guard with him in this day of age.

Honored Contributor

Age or not, I think most of  us who have driven any amount of time and remember some close calls when conditions or distraction caused us to pull out too close, or do something like that.

We used to live where we had to pull out onto a pretty busy four lane that was directly east-west facing and I can tell you many days it was a struggle to get on the road because of the sun coming up right in your eyes. 

Also, cars now have thick posts going from roof to the front fenders and it is difficult to see around those things sometimes.  AND the big mirrors.

I'm not taking a side or making a case, but saying all of us could take a lesson from this.