Honored Contributor

Prince Phllip Car Crash/Unhurt

[ Edited ]

UPDATE

12:25 PM PT -- Police tell TMZ ... Prince Philip and the driver of the other vehicle were both given breathalyzer tests. Police say that's standard ops, but imagine being the officer asking Queen Elizabeth's husband to blow. 

Both of them passed with flying colors, btw. 

We're told the other driver suffered minor cuts, and her passenger has an arm injury. They were treated and released ... from Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Queen Elizabeth's husband, Prince Philip, just dodged a huge bullet, because he survived a car crash in England ... and the 97-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was behind the wheel!

Buckingham Palace tells TMZ ... the Duke of Edinburgh was seen by a doctor as a precaution and the doc confirmed Philip was not injured. 

The two-vehicle collision happened Thursday afternoon near the Sandringham Estate, the private home of Queen Elizabeth. Police reportedly responded to the scene just after 3 PM and assisted two people with minor injuries, but miraculously Philip was unharmed.

As you can see, the crash left an SUV on its side ... and that's the one Philip was driving!

Philip, granddad to Prince William and Prince Harry, married Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen. Philip was dubbed Prince of the U.K. back in 1957. 

At 97, Philip is the oldest ever male British Royal. After surviving Thursday's car crash, seems Philip still has his good luck.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Phllip Car Crash/Unhurt

It was a wonder the people and baby in the other car were not killed, he had a very expensive  ,heavy vehicle.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I saw this on the news earlier and the reporter intimated that the Prince's driving privileges might be revoked

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

They have hundreds & hundreds of acres of private property all over the country, so maybe he should just stay on their private property to satisfy his desire for driving at that age.  Glad no one was seriously hurt or worse.  If it had been a high speed accident or head on accident the outcome could have been considerably worse.

Honored Contributor

Puzzled why his was driving.  The man is 97.  He's wealthy enough to be driven everywhere 24/7.  On the other hand you  have 97-100 year old people driving.  At 97, you no longer have the reflexes to drive safely. Doesn't matter. They don't want to be trapped at home.  So they risk  injury/death to themselves and others.  Philip should have licence revoked.

Honored Contributor

She'll rein him in whether he likes it or not. They don't like any kind of negative P R.  I'd love to have my own driver at any age.

Honored Contributor

I saw that yesterday and my blood boiled.  He's almost 100 and he's still driving!  In what world, royal or not, would anyone think that is a good idea?  He has the reflexes of a 100 year old man.  Yes, indeed his driving privileges should be revoked.  He should be treated like an person would be treated in that situation.  It's miracle he didn't kill the people in that other car.  There comes a time when old drivers have to stop being selfish and consider others.

Honored Contributor

He should NOT have been driving. Thank goodness no one was killed!

Honored Contributor

Was the accident his fault?  If not his fault than why this age discrimination? More accidents are the result of distracted drivers than older drivers. The Queen still drives, rides horses as well. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I saw that yesterday and my blood boiled.  He's almost 100 and he's still driving!  In what world, royal or not, would anyone think that is a good idea?  He has the reflexes of a 100 year old man.  Yes, indeed his driving privileges should be revoked.  He should be treated like an person would be treated in that situation.  It's miracle he didn't kill the people in that other car.  There comes a time when old drivers have to stop being selfish and consider others.

I don't know.  I'd just as soon be on the road with someone 97 than most of the texting teens I know.  One of them killed (the patrolman said it was a horriffic accident) a dear friend of mine.   I wish they would publish the content of the texts someone died for.  That might wake a lot of people up.  What senseless deaths.  Sorry, my soapbox.