Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Philip sends a letter of apology

@50Mickey wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

We can't yet know that Prince Phillip was totally to blame. She may have been speeding, she may have been inattentive and delayed in braking. 

The negativity is more about who was involved than it is about what was involved. This sort of accident is common and age has nothing to do with it.

Really? i think that the officais know exactly who was at fault. He drove without stopping from a side road directly into the path of on coming traffic onto a main road. It doesn't matter when the other driver braked. It was not her responsibility to avoid this accident. It was his responsibiity not to cause it. If this had happened in this country he would have been cited on the spot for failure to yield. And he would have been given a citation to appear in traffic court. if Philip is not charged it is because the police are afraid of the royal familly. This is a sham.  Maybe next time he will kill someone. But of course it is his right to drive. 

Absolutely not true. It's every driver's responsibility to avoid an accident, every driver's responsibility to drive within the posted speed limit and to be attentive. There is no report that Philip didn't stop before entering the road.

Earlier this month in PA, a woman blinded by the sun struck three children waiting along the road for their school bus, killing one and injuring the other two. She was not charged with anything.

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

We can't yet know that Prince Phillip was totally to blame. She may have been speeding, she may have been inattentive and delayed in braking. 

The negativity is more about who was involved than it is about what was involved. This sort of accident is common and age has nothing to do with it.

Really? i think that the officais know exactly who was at fault. He drove without stopping from a side road directly into the path of on coming traffic onto a main road. It doesn't matter when the other driver braked. It was not her responsibility to avoid this accident. It was his responsibiity not to cause it. If this had happened in this country he would have been cited on the spot for failure to yield. And he would have been given a citation to appear in traffic court. if Philip is not charged it is because the police are afraid of the royal familly. This is a sham.  Maybe next time he will kill someone. But of course it is his right to drive. 

Absolutely not true. It's every driver's responsibility to avoid an accident, every driver's responsibility to drive within the posted speed limit and to be attentive. There is no report that Philip didn't stop before entering the road.

Earlier this month in PA, a woman blinded by the sun struck three children waiting along the road for their school bus, killing one and injuring the other two. She was not charged with anything.

@occasionalrain. in October, 2018, Alyssa Shepherd, 24, Rochester, Indiana, was charged with three counts of reckless homicide and one misdemeanor count of passing a stopped school bus when the the arm signal device was down (and red lights flashing ) causing bodily injury. She killed two 6 year old twin boys and their 9 year old sister.  She also critically injured an 11 year old neighbor.  She admitted she saw lights, but didn't know what they were (as in big yellow school bus) and kept going.  

Sorry, but I stongly feel you're trying to defend the indefensible.  Studies prove the elderly DO NOT react as quickly as younger drivers.  Diminished vision, diminished hearing, slower reflexes and the inability to turn our heads and completely see what surrounds us..  All parts of natural aging.  I will gladly give up my drivers license when I know my time is up.  My husband however is going to be a whole other issue,  I can assure you, when he reaches the point he SHOULDN'T be driving, I won't be his passenger.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain,

I don't know British law, but I do know that much of our law is based on English Common Law, so many of the same rules apply.

You are only partially right in saying a person has the responsibility to avoid an accident. In most states, the standard is "a reasonable person".  A reasonable person does not include the responsibility of anticipating the bad acts of others. 

In other words, you have the right to proceed on a green light if a reasonable person would believe it is safe to do so. You do not have to anticipate a car running the red light at 100 miles per hour. 

Your example of the lady hitting the kids really doesn't apply here since you were talking about comparative fault. Obviously the kids were not comparatively negligent.  as an aside, I would be shocked if she were never charged. Blinded by the sun has never been a  good defense against negligence.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

She should have been.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It was a PR move because he's been knocked around by the media and public over this.  It's too littl, it's too late.  It's yet another big PR blunder by the royals after all that they have done to change their "entitled" image.  A couple of days later he made a point of being photographed driving, which was a big "up yours" to the public.  I didn't see it but my friend in London said that a day or two after the accident, the Queen made a point of being seen driving around her estate.  The message was loud and clear; YOU people might reach a point where you opt not to drive for safety concerns.  WE don't care.  None of that got much, press here but this is big in the UK.  Makes one wonder what they heck did they think a letter like this, that should have gone out days after the accident, would do now.  They should just leave it alone.

Queen Elizabeth is far too humble a person to have that attitude.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

My first thought upon reading it was that he should have said something about one of his employees contacting her too, to make arrangements to foot the bill for her injuries - - same for the other lady who got hurt.

@Pearlee, Just curious so I have to ask what bill for her injuries?  Are you talking about medical bills for the woman injured in the crash with Prince Phillip?  If so, there would not be any bills for her medical care.  Guess I am just confused since @Patriot3 also mentioned medical bills.  I feel like came into the middle of a movie here trying to follow along, lol.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

This brings up a good question ... how many houses, cottages, castles, acreage does the monarchy own (I should say taxpayers)?

The list is on WIKI under "List of British royal residences"

Those are just the ones the "public" know about! whistling.gif

She owns a good chunk of prime real estate on Park Avenue.  She own a very large horse farm in Kentucky. Detail about the acres and value is kept confidential  All of the wealth is tied up in a blind trust.  I doubt the Queen knows exactly how much is held. from the public.  British government owns the largest embassy.  Also several UK government officials own land and property in the U.S. This is just in the US, but the queen owns land and real estate in many countries  all over the world. 

@software, do you have a reliable source for the part about owning a "very large" horse farm in Kentucky?  Since this is near the area where I live and knowing some people in the horse racing industry, I highly doubt the accuracy of that statement.

I think it may be a rumor by that world wide web out there, misunderstanding that the Queen has visited our state several times, has been good friends with the Farrishes that do own a large horse farm in the area, and the Queen has sent several of her horses here to be bred & has paid to board several of those horses here, but she doesn't own a horse farm.    

Here is an article talking about her visits:

https://mclib.net/blogs/history/?p=487

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Frequent Contributor

The Queen cannot be arrested or sued and as far as family members go they can get fined for speeding tickets, etc and probably arrested if participated in a crime but they are protected from civil complaints which a lawsuit would fall under.  So, the woman with the cast on her arm from the car wreck will not end up owning half of Buckingham Palace or any such other similar fantasy that some would like to think or maybe get a vicarious thrill from. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain. in October, 2018, Alyssa Shepherd, 24, Rochester, Indiana, was charged with three counts of reckless homicide and one misdemeanor count of passing a stopped school bus when the the arm signal device was down (and red lights flashing ) causing bodily injury. She killed two 6 year old twin boys and their 9 year old sister.  She also critically injured an 11 year old neighbor.  She admitted she saw lights, but didn't know what they were (as in big yellow school bus) and kept going.  

Sorry, but I stongly feel you're trying to defend the indefensible.  Studies prove the elderly DO NOT react as quickly as younger drivers.  Diminished vision, diminished hearing, slower reflexes and the inability to turn our heads and completely see what surrounds us..  All parts of natural aging.  I will gladly give up my drivers license when I know my time is up.  My husband however is going to be a whole other issue,  I can assure you, when he reaches the point he SHOULDN'T be driving, I won't be his passenger.

There may be some who feel you should not be driving now.  Without specific measures of ability this is a very subjective area of discussion.  Just because someone reaches a certain age or is involved in an accident should not automatically have driving previlages revoked. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.