Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Philip sends a letter of apology

It's a gracious letter - I'm glad he wrote it although it would be ill-advised in the US, seen as an admission of guilt.  Maybe laws are different in England, or maybe the Prince has already settled with the other driver and passengers.  I can understand how it happened; the sun is so low in the late afternoon this time of year that it can blind drivers.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

At least in the US, people are instructed not to have contact with the other party when in an accident.  Not sure why everyone felt that the Prince should be required to make contact in this case.  I did note that the date on the letter was just a few days after the accident. Some people are just dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

@CrazyDaisy

when you know you are in the wrong there is nothing stopping someone from speaking with or having contact with the other party.

i said this on the other thread, but when i had an accident where i was "dazzled by the sun" i was hit by someone else. even though i was hit,  it was my fault. she was  taken to the hospital and released. i contacted her family the next day to make sure she was doing okay and apologize.

You are welcome to do what you want, however every insurance compamy will tell you not to make contact.

they did not tell me to NOT make contact @CrazyDaisy.

i did tell the insurance company i was the one at fault.....no question about it.

no reason to not call or see how the person is doing, regardless of who is at fault.

it is called compassion.

yes, and it was my choice.....everyone can decide on their own how they want to handle it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Little remorse ... blaming it on the sun, then he should have pulled over.   And why continue to drive without a seatbelt?   On the stationery, this should say "Sangria" House since this is his mindset while driving.   

This brings up a good question ... how many houses, cottages, castles, acreage does the monarchy own (I should say taxpayers)?

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

At least in the US, people are instructed not to have contact with the other party when in an accident.  Not sure why everyone felt that the Prince should be required to make contact in this case.  I did note that the date on the letter was just a few days after the accident. Some people are just dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

@CrazyDaisy

when you know you are in the wrong there is nothing stopping someone from speaking with or having contact with the other party.

i said this on the other thread, but when i had an accident where i was "dazzled by the sun" i was hit by someone else. even though i was hit,  it was my fault. she was  taken to the hospital and released. i contacted her family the next day to make sure she was doing okay and apologize.

You are welcome to do what you want, however every insurance compamy will tell you not to make contact.

they did not tell me to NOT make contact @CrazyDaisy.

i did tell the insurance company i was the one at fault.....no question about it.

no reason to not call or see how the person is doing, regardless of who is at fault.

it is called compassion.

yes, and it was my choice.....everyone can decide on their own how they want to handle it.

As I said you are welcome to do what you want.  It has nothing to do with compassion.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

He was clearly at fault.

Anybody in the public eye would make a public apology for something like that.  

Honored Contributor

It was a PR move because he's been knocked around by the media and public over this.  It's too littl, it's too late.  It's yet another big PR blunder by the royals after all that they have done to change their "entitled" image.  A couple of days later he made a point of being photographed driving, which was a big "up yours" to the public.  I didn't see it but my friend in London said that a day or two after the accident, the Queen made a point of being seen driving around her estate.  The message was loud and clear; YOU people might reach a point where you opt not to drive for safety concerns.  WE don't care.  None of that got much, press here but this is big in the UK.  Makes one wonder what they heck did they think a letter like this, that should have gone out days after the accident, would do now.  They should just leave it alone.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not impressed  w/Phillip's letter.  Is he going to pay their Dr bills?  He was making excuses by blaming the sun and inferred that she was somewhat at fault.  I also read in the paper that she said the sun was not shining, but was overcast.

She should be able to sue him.  He was out there like any other citizen.  He is known for his fast driving and definitely should not have been driving at his age and w/all the health problems he has had. 

I respect most of the royal family, but there should be no pass for them when it comes to something like this.

Honored Contributor

We can't yet know that Prince Phillip was totally to blame. She may have been speeding, she may have been inattentive and delayed in braking. 

The negativity is more about who was involved than it is about what was involved. This sort of accident is common and age has nothing to do with it.

Honored Contributor

A late apology is better than no apology.

However, it was a pretty lame apology.  (Probably written by lawyers in a very non-committal, admit-to-nothing way.)

Honored Contributor

Who knows if he actually signed it.  LOL