Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Philip sends a letter of apology

@seaBreeze wrote:

This brings up a good question ... how many houses, cottages, castles, acreage does the monarchy own (I should say taxpayers)?

The list is on WIKI under "List of British royal residences"

Those are just the ones the "public" know about! whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

One day the Queen and Philip will invite Emma and the other two to lunch at the royal home of their choice and all will be forgotten.  While there, they should get a house tour and a chance to meet other family members.

Trusted Contributor

Damage control, Philip, damage control.  Kind of like the Queen finally speaking out after  Diana's death and only when there was a public outcry.

Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

Damage control, Philip, damage control.  Kind of like the Queen finally speaking out after  Diana's death and only when there was a public outcry.

It does seem they respond when public outcry threatens their popularity.  Not a bad thing; I just think sometimes they don't realize that they can be clueless.  At least they bend.

Honored Contributor

My first thought upon reading it was that he should have said something about one of his employees contacting her too, to make arrangements to foot the bill for her injuries - - same for the other lady who got hurt.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

This brings up a good question ... how many houses, cottages, castles, acreage does the monarchy own (I should say taxpayers)?

The list is on WIKI under "List of British royal residences"

Those are just the ones the "public" know about! whistling.gif

She owns a good chunk of prime real estate on Park Avenue.  She own a very large horse farm in Kentucky. Detail about the acres and value is kept confidential  All of the wealth is tied up in a blind trust.  I doubt the Queen knows exactly how much is held. from the public.  British government owns the largest embassy.  Also several UK government officials own land and property in the U.S. This is just in the US, but the queen owns land and real estate in many countries  all over the world. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It was a PR move because he's been knocked around by the media and public over this.  It's too littl, it's too late.  It's yet another big PR blunder by the royals after all that they have done to change their "entitled" image.  A couple of days later he made a point of being photographed driving, which was a big "up yours" to the public.  I didn't see it but my friend in London said that a day or two after the accident, the Queen made a point of being seen driving around her estate.  The message was loud and clear; YOU people might reach a point where you opt not to drive for safety concerns.  WE don't care.  None of that got much, press here but this is big in the UK.  Makes one wonder what they heck did they think a letter like this, that should have gone out days after the accident, would do now.  They should just leave it alone.

@chrystaltree

Honestly? I kinda forgot about it until now.

You’re right...too little, too late.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

We can't yet know that Prince Phillip was totally to blame. She may have been speeding, she may have been inattentive and delayed in braking. 

The negativity is more about who was involved than it is about what was involved. This sort of accident is common and age has nothing to do with it.

Really? i think that the officais know exactly who was at fault. He drove without stopping from a side road directly into the path of on coming traffic onto a main road. It doesn't matter when the other driver braked. It was not her responsibility to avoid this accident. It was his responsibiity not to cause it. If this had happened in this country he would have been cited on the spot for failure to yield. And he would have been given a citation to appear in traffic court. if Philip is not charged it is because the police are afraid of the royal familly. This is a sham.  Maybe next time he will kill someone. But of course it is his right to drive. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always got a sense over the years that Prince Philip was bull-headed and in need of his independence....especially with driving himself for his fun.  BUT, this man at his age should not be driving no matter how bull-headed and independent, he needs to be driven but then that would be diminishing himself....this one is about his ego and he made a big mistake driving!  It doesn't really matter who was at fault, he should not have been behind the wheel of a vehicle!

Valued Contributor

When Prince Phillip retired from his Royal duties in 2017, he should have retired from driving too. A 97 year old man has no business driving on the road.

DH and I wretched the keys from my MIL's hands when she was 78. We took her grocery shopping, to doctor appointments, etc. She was not happy with us (but got over it as she knew it was time), and the world was a safer place without her behind the wheel.