Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Harry and Archie Side by Side

We all know intent? Nobody truly knows anyone on this board other than via posts and that can be dubious given the nature of internet posting. And no one defines "hypersensitivity" for others. All humans have different levels of sensitivity based upon life experiences and backgrounds and many other factors.

It's only here that I've seen or read any comments about Archie's skin color. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew  that was a mother filled with  love, at the beauty of her child.I wish all of the remarks here, were that loving.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Always looking for a dig... There is absolutely nothing wrong with noting the baby has fair skin. The same comment about a child's skin tone could and would be made about virtually any baby, regardless of his parentage...  The child is fair skinned and nobody said he got bonus points for being so... It was simply an observation... He's a cute baby...

Wondering to one's self and wondering out loud are two different things.  In this day and age it's best wonder to yourself.  It is a sensitive topic and we really don't know the intent of every poster on the board.  I would assume most here who would post a comment like that would do it innocently.

I understand your point of view, but perhaps it's time we got beyond that level of 'sensitivity' or hypersensitivity, as the case might be. I have rarely been around any group of people where there's a new baby in the midst and not heard comments about hair color, eye color, skin tone, weight, the amount of hair and on and on... Ignoring the obvious makes the matter a bigger deal than it is... Regardless of intent, the statement, (not the wondering...) was that this baby appears to have fair skin, which he does...

@stevieb Of course it's time!!! But we're not there yet.  Until we are, you have to watch what you say.

@faeriemoon   So are you suggesting nobody has an opinion aside from you!

I don't see how watching what you say is an opinion issue.  If you knowingly say something that might be hurtful to someone else, you shouldn't say it.  If you can't help yourself, and you say it anyway, be aware you might not like the response you receive from others.  You can do whatever you want.

Honored Contributor

One of my grandaughters ,has the most beautiful long ,curly ,dark red hair i have ever seen in my 67 yrs,it is just lovely. She looks irish, just so beautiful.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And precisely because all humans have different levels of sensitivity it seems somewhat a losing battle to try to discern what, in each case, is palatable and what isn't. Hence, using reasoned judgment, we all need to decide for ourselves what we think is a valid statement.

If that baby's picture were floated 'blind' to a group of people and they were simply asked if they thought the baby had fair skin, virtually all of them would agree he does, because it's a fact, it's not a value judgment... It could be posited it's those 'offended' by the observation who are, in this case, making the value judgment... It's unfortunate to see a thread about a cute baby potentially turned into a battle royal over what are and are not reasonable levels of political correctness...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The other day I saw fairly recent photos of Harry and Charles.  The photos were adjacent to one another, and Harry and his father each had his head slightly bowed.  There was such a remarkable resemblance apparent in their brow and upper nose area.  I'd never noticed this before.

As I wrote on this or another thread, Harry has a lot of Spencer in him, too.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

I have 2 daughters. One was born with lots of dark hair and brown eyes. The other was born with blue eyes and almost no hair.  People commented on their hair or lack there of, their eyes and their weight but no one ever commented on their skin tone.  Is this something that people do?

I have relationships with lots of kids and parents. I have never heard anyone make such a comment.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a mixed racial family ,and I have never encountered this, either

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

And precisely because all humans have different levels of sensitivity it seems somewhat a losing battle to try to discern what, in each case, is palatable and what isn't. Hence, using reasoned judgment, we all need to decide for ourselves what we think is a valid statement.

If that baby's picture were floated 'blind' to a group of people and they were simply asked if they thought the baby had fair skin, virtually all of them would agree he does, because it's a fact, it's not a value judgment... It could be posited it's those 'offended' by the observation who are, in this case, making the value judgment... It's unfortunate to see a thread about a cute baby potentially turned into a battle royal over what are and are not reasonable levels of political correctness...

I don't think that anything said here was the beginning of any battle at all. From what I gather, admittedly not a Royal watcher, it began with obnoxious remarks and sly ones as well on social media.

As for a blind test asking whether the the baby had fair skin? I don't see that as relevant here. If I were such a participant, of course I would say yes. But that would be in a vacuum devoid of context.

Knowing that there is some history here, I would personally avoid bringing it up. But that's not to say that I think the comment that started this on this thread was at all meant to be controversial or divisive or anything else of a sinister nature.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It's hard to tell from the picture if he has his mom's cute turned up nose.

I used to watch her on Suits and have always thought she has the cutest turned up nose.  Most people have the same kind of nose and if they don't (large) they immediately get it fixed.  

I think plastic surgery is up to the individual.  That said, I do like it when someone has a cute nose like her's.  Her mom has the same kind of cute nose.

I think that's one of the things that makes her look so petite and cute.

So I googled, "Show me a picture of Megan Markle's cute turned up nose".  This is what came up: 

https://www.allure.com/story/meghan-markle-nose-most-popular-plastic-surgery-request

Basically, it says her nose is the one most requested when people want nose jobs.

I know it's cute but it's small.  That's what makes her so recognizable.  Why would anyone want to look like someone else?

I guess it's flatering, but I wonder if she sees it that way?

Look here.  I don't think it would be easy to copy it.  

So my late husband had a nose operation because he couldn't breathe out of it.

I kept saying he had a "deviated scrotum" instead of a "deviated septum". Mixing it up.I know what he went through to get it fixed, I can't imagine people going through that on purpose, but to each his own.

I can see why he was attracted to her, she's so lovely.