Re: Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

@Kachina624

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
@Kachina624

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland.

@bikerbabe    I know, and it has a nice castle.  If only he got that too.  It must have a great view.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

This is wonderful news.  I am so happy for him and his family.

@beckyb1012 

Are you serious?  You're "so happy" for him .... how exactly does this benefit anyone?  

@Tinkrbl44   I guess we just don't understand the monarchy.  It all seems silly and very pretentious.  How does it even benefit Edward....nobody has answered.

Esteemed Contributor

It benefits Edward in that he can now be known as "Duke" instead of "Earl." I think that Duke is a higher title and maybe more prestige. Other than that, I have no idea. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 

Are you serious?  You're "so happy" for him .... how exactly does this benefit anyone?  

@Tinkrbl44   I guess we just don't understand the monarchy.  It all seems silly and very pretentious.  How does it even benefit Edward....nobody has answered.

I think it has been explained.  It's an honorary title.  It also conveys a title to his wife (Duchess) and to his son (Earl).  Interesting that this is a problem for some on the board, while titles for H&M (and their kids) - who renounced all royal work and live in the U.S. - where we don't have titles - are perceived as their "right."  NOT changing the subject - just pointing out that criticizing other royals for having titles while defending H&M is just ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer 

I agree with you.  Commenting that the titles are not important unless of course it is for H and M and their children.  I am going to end it there before I get any responses accusing me of being a hater.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

One of the reasons that the late Prince Philip, the previous Duke of Edinburgh, wanted this for his son, is that Edward had been so involved in his father's "Duke of Edinburgh's Award".    This is a awards program, very dear to Philip's heart, that encourages young people to work hard, undertake challenges, volunteer services to the community, go on difficult expeditions, etc.

The late Prince Philip, previous Duke of Edinburgh, with some of the award holders in 2017.

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 3.02.47 PM.png

Edward in the past, with participants in the Awards program.

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 2.59.27 PM.png

The new Duke of Edinburgh meets with some of the Scottish city's residents today.  Ancient Edinburgh is such a neat city!

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 2.52.04 PM.png 

Edited to add--  @FLGators ,  I just saw your post!   Great minds, etc.!

The Queen & Prince Phillip instilled a sense of duty in their kids. Prince Edward, his wife & Princess Anne served the monarch dutifully with little expectation. No glamour, just dedication & service in mind.

Anne was later bestowed the title Princess Royal & now Prince Edward becomes Duke. Both after decades of selfless service are being recognised for it. Titles are/were bestowed to honor their selfless service.

Elton John, Helen Mirren recieved knighthood/damehoods from the queen for their contribution to their profession. They were recoginized for it but probably didn't get a penny more for being a Sir/Dame but it is an honor that only some are bestowed, priceless!

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 

I think it has been explained.  It's an honorary title.  It also conveys a title to his wife (Duchess) and to his son (Earl).  Interesting that this is a problem for some on the board, while titles for H&M (and their kids) - who renounced all royal work and live in the U.S. - where we don't have titles - are perceived as their "right."  NOT changing the subject - just pointing out that criticizing other royals for having titles while defending H&M is just ridiculous.

@Isobel Archer    I heard earlier this week, Harry's daughter will.be PRINCESS Lilibet, so I guess the other kid is is PRINCE.  They can now make careers out of that.  Doesn't sound renounced to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

"@Isobel Archer wrote:
@Kachina624 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:
@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 

@Isobel Archer    I heard earlier this week, Harry's daughter will.be PRINCESS Lilibet, so I guess the other kid is is PRINCE.  They can now make careers out of that.  Doesn't sound renounced to me."

The only reasoning I can think of for giving them titles is that they did not decide to leave the royal family it was their parents.  Giving them titles might leave the door open if they decide to be part of the royal family in the future.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really want to get into a whole H&M thing but Archie and Lili are entitled to the Prince and Princess titles as grandchildren of the monarch. In other words, not granting them the titles would be the anomaly.