Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

@Kachina624 Edingburgh is in Scotland Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

If that is what Edward wanted, then it's all good.  This just highlights the whole absurdity of royalty thing for me.  You wait around for your brother to give you a title, lol.  "Charles was born first, so he is better than you,"  is what it says to me.  I give Edward and Sophie props for working hard and trying to stay scandal free all these years, after whatever it was that happened years ago.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Good for him.  It's allegedly what he and his parents wanted; and supposedly why he took the title of earl when he married instead of duke.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Is this really some kind of big deal?  Does he get a pay raise, company car, more vacation leave?  I guess the significance escapes me.  Where is the Edinburgh that he's going to be the duke of?

To Edward and his family it is.  Clearly to you, it is not.

It's just a bit of royal news since we seem to discuss the royals quite a bit here.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Is this really some kind of big deal?  Does he get a pay raise, company car, more vacation leave?  I guess the significance escapes me.  Where is the Edinburgh that he's going to be the duke of?

@Kachina624 

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing.   Seems like a way for the royals to show how important they are.  I doubt it will actually help anyone.

The whole title thing seems so silly .... who cares if he's Duke of Whatever?   

What makes this "wonderful news"?

What EXACTLY does that do for the Edinburghians?  Do they even care?  

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

This is wonderful news.  I am so happy for him and his family.

@beckyb1012 

Are you serious?  You're "so happy" for him .... how exactly does this benefit anyone?  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

This is wonderful news.  I am so happy for him and his family.

@beckyb1012 

Are you serious?  You're "so happy" for him .... how exactly does this benefit anyone?  

Because his Father wanted it for him so I am happy for both of them.  Goodness 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Some backgroud/history of this title. 

Prince Phillip's desire for Edward to hold the title was in recognition of his son's decades-long commitment to the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, one of his greatest legacies.

The scheme, which runs activities, training and challenges for young people, was launched by the former duke in 1956.

More details here:BBC NEWS 

Honored Contributor

Congratulations to the new Duke of Edinburgh!  Edward has certainly earned the honor.  Hopefully, he'll get to meet his grand-niece and -nephew, the new Princess and Prince, in a couple months.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the reasons that the late Prince Philip, the previous Duke of Edinburgh, wanted this for his son, is that Edward had been so involved in his father's "Duke of Edinburgh's Award".    This is a awards program, very dear to Philip's heart, that encourages young people to work hard, undertake challenges, volunteer services to the community, go on difficult expeditions, etc.

The late Prince Philip, previous Duke of Edinburgh, with some of the award holders in 2017.

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 3.02.47 PM.png

Edward in the past, with participants in the Awards program.

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 2.59.27 PM.png

The new Duke of Edinburgh meets with some of the Scottish city's residents today.  Ancient Edinburgh is such a neat city!

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 2.52.04 PM.png 

Edited to add--  @FLGators ,  I just saw your post!   Great minds, etc.!