Respected Contributor

Re: Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

@faeriemoon wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't really want to get into a whole H&M thing but Archie and Lili are entitled to the Prince and Princess titles as grandchildren of the monarch. In other words, not granting them the titles would be the anomaly.

@faeriemoon No it would not be an anomaly.  Princess Anne's children do not have titles per her and their father's request. 

@ninjawife It is a male line thing.  Anne's kids are not entitled to the titles.

@faeriemoon No it is not.  Anne's children could have had titles.  She and her husband did not want them to have them. 

Respected Contributor

Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh!  I don't know if they do these types of bestowments for femaie royals by birth, but it would be nice to see Princess Anne receive some accolades for her service.  She does hundreds of engagements every year and was with the Queen during her final days.

Trusted Contributor

I think the prince and princess titles for the little ones was sort of automatic when Charles became king.  I guess the question was whether their parents wanted them to use it.  What they don't have and won't get unless they are working royals is HRH.  

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't really want to get into a whole H&M thing but Archie and Lili are entitled to the Prince and Princess titles as grandchildren of the monarch. In other words, not granting them the titles would be the anomaly.

@faeriemoon No it would not be an anomaly.  Princess Anne's children do not have titles per her and their father's request. 

@ninjawife It is a male line thing.  Anne's kids are not entitled to the titles.

@faeriemoon No it is not.  Anne's children could have had titles.  She and her husband did not want them to have them. 

@ninjawife "Titles" and being a prince and a princess are two different things.  Anne's children could not have been Prince Peter and Princess Zara because only male children of the sovereign are entitled to pass princely titles to their children. Had Anne's first husband accepted a peerage from the queen, he could have been titled, and the children too.  But NOT princely titles.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

"The only reasoning I can think of for giving them titles is that they did not decide to leave the royal family it was their parents.  Giving them titles might leave the door open if they decide to be part of the royal family in the future.

@lgfan 

Uh, not to put to fine a point on it, but Archie and Lilibet are part of the royal family whether they have titles or not. 

Titles don't make or break blood relatives' family connections. "

Let me clarify it for you.  If Archie and Lilibet want to be "working" royals in the future they will have the titles of prince and princess.  Good grief.

@lgfan   

Are you sure about that?  I wasn't aware they HAD to have the titles of prince and princess.   

There are several royals that have other titles of one sort or another ... not prince or princess ..... and they represent the royals from time to time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There could be benefits that the general public is not aware of regarding royal titles, including securiy.

Frequent Contributor

Princess Anne is the Princess Royal.  This is a title conferred on the eldest daughter of a reigning monarch.  She will hold it for her lifetime.  Princess Charlotte will probably get this title after Princess Anne passes away.

Respected Contributor

I read Sophie was happy because she no longer must curtsy to Meghan.

Respected Contributor

@lovepink wrote:

Princess Anne is the Princess Royal.  This is a title conferred on the eldest daughter of a reigning monarch.  She will hold it for her lifetime.  Princess Charlotte will probably get this title after Princess Anne passes away.

@lovepink It seems like Charlotte wouldn't receive the title until both Princess Anne and King Charles pass.

Respected Contributor

Prince Edward and Sophie usually look like they are enjoying whatever they are doing when out and about with their "duties"! Harry and Meghan could take a lesson from Edward and Sophie, dutiful without any form of fanfare! 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield