Honored Contributor

Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

Prince Edward has been named as the new Duke of Edinburgh, Buckingham Palace has announced. The title, granted by King Charles III on the prince's 59th birthday, will be held for his lifetime.

I was wondering how long Charles would take to confer this title upon him.  There was some gossip about Charles saving the title for Charlotte, which would have been a really lousy move since the title was promised to Edward by the queen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

This is wonderful news.  I am so happy for him and his family.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

What a wonderful birthday present!  Apparently, Edward was close to his father.  They seem like a lovely couple, Edward & Sophie, go about their duties without any fanfare and have two lovely children.  I wish them both well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

This is wonderful news.  I am so happy for him and his family.

@beckyb1012 So am I.  I'm curious to see if his children decide to accept titles. (HRHs)  Sophie mentioned a while ago that Louise hadn't decided yet.  I believe she is at an age where her decision should be coming soon. His son is now the new Earl of Wessex.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prince Edward seems to be the only sibling that has escaped scandal. He and his family have pretty much stayed under the media radar.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
Prince Edward seems to be the only sibling that has escaped scandal. He and his family have pretty much stayed under the media radar.

She did have some business woes that caused concern for the family when they were first married but she sold her interest in the company.  Then there was his wanting to go into acting or at least films.  He did the "Edward on Edward" (King Edward) youtube and supposedly they were embarrassed by it.  I watched it during the shut down it was fine but he did seem awkward.  They are truly hard working Royals.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

Uh, no, his wife tried to sell her influence with the Queen back when. Poor Queen had to put up with so much from her pups. I'd stopped at Charles. LOL

Google the scandel.

Honored Contributor

I just saw that and it makes me very happy.  It's what his father wanted.  Sophie and Edward have worked tirelessly since the Queen began to falter.  And they stepped up after the miserable couple headed off to Montecito.  Edward and Sophie are all about class, dignity and service so they get  no attention here in the US.  

Honored Contributor

I love the fact that his young son is now an Earl.

Honored Contributor

Is this really some kind of big deal?  Does he get a pay raise, company car, more vacation leave?  I guess the significance escapes me.  Where is the Edinburgh that he's going to be the duke of?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment