Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  I remember a few years back when there was a big hubbub with a poster

on LR's Facebook . I believe it centered around the posters grandchild. I think

from what Primetime posted on their site, this very thing happened.

Honored Contributor
@Suziqzee

Freedom of speech is greatly misunderstood when it comes to private businesses and message boards. I can’t say anything I like in someone else’s forum or business. They have the right to set some rules and my participation (or not) is my choice.

It’s a debated issue on how to apply the First Amendment in today’s social media world.

As for cancel culture, well, I find there is often hypocrisy in those criticisms.

I will preface this to say, I’ve never read Primetimer, so my above remarks are generalities.
Honored Contributor

After reading this thread, I wanted to look up the definition of "snark".  It is what my parents instructed me not to be part of when communicating with others.    

Respected Contributor

The First Amendent is not applicable to everything.  It seems some believe it enables them to be able to engage in hate speech everywhere.  Thankfully, that is not the case.

From what I read here, it seem this site was a place to insult and make fun of hosts on QVC?

I am not sure how engaging in criticizing people doing their best to make a living would be informative, enjoyable or fun.  I would think some of the posts could be cruel and possibly endanger some.

A board without some type of moderation would be an out of control hot mess. 

If that is your cup of tea, have at it.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Ebby Calvin LaLoosh
Honored Contributor

@MalibuFox wrote:

@Trinity11  I remember a few years back when there was a big hubbub with a poster

on LR's Facebook . I believe it centered around the posters grandchild. I think

from what Primetime posted on their site, this very thing happened.

Interesting @MalibuFox. I am not familiar, although, I really think children should be off limits when it comes to social media. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I guess I'm late,to the party....what is the Primetimer Forum? I've never heard of it. 

@Effie54 Me either.

It was a forum with some pretty out there content in regard to QVC show hosts. Bad enough to maybe where the show hosts hired a lawyer to cease and desist?(speculating here) So the site closed the Home Shopping channel section. The other sub forums appear to still be available to post @Sooner @Effie54.

@Trinity11 

there have been a few facebook groups like that regarding the shopping channels and some of them have been shut down. they were cesspools with lots of defamation and lies that were posted by some to try and get everyone riled up. there are still a few left, but not quite as bad as the ones that were shut down. comments and threads were inappropriate, racist, phobic in many ways, and slanderous. 

have never heard of primetimers until this thread. 

not sure why so many devote so much time to trashing? the easiest way to get over home shopping and its hosts/vendors is to not shop there anymore.

we have so many choices these days in both our shopping and our entertainment.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

The First Amendent is not applicable to everything.  It seems some believe it enables them to be able to engage in hate speech everywhere.  Thankfully, that is not the case.

From what I read here, it seem this site was a place to insult and make fun of hosts on QVC?

I am not sure how engaging in criticizing people doing their best to make a living would be informative, enjoyable or fun.  I would think some of the posts could be cruel and possibly endanger some.

A board without some type of moderation would be an out of control hot mess. 

If that is your cup of tea, have at it.

Well said @Mersha .

Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
@Suziqzee

Freedom of speech is greatly misunderstood when it comes to private businesses and message boards. I can’t say anything I like in someone else’s forum or business. They have the right to set some rules and my participation (or not) is my choice.

It’s a debated issue on how to apply the First Amendment in today’s social media world.

As for cancel culture, well, I find there is often hypocrisy in those criticisms.

I will preface this to say, I’ve never read Primetimer, so my above remarks are generalities.

Yes, and I do believe Prime Timer had, and has the right to establish their own rules. I was merely commenting on whether a lawyer would be willing to take on the case against a message board because of some perceived harm done to a host or a business.  I was expressing doubt that they would bother because it would be too murky to prove actual harm, just as it would be similarly difficult to now sue Prime Timer for canceling the forum on the same grounds.

Maybe I'm wrong? This is of course, all conjecture but I think Prime Timer, themselves shut down the shopping channel board because they wanted to, not because of any outside threat of legal action. 

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  absolutely I agree. It was pretty aggressive, and odd

New Contributor

Is the "Latest Cafe Society Topics" on Primetimer? I don't see it