Respected Contributor

Prime Pantry Items on Amazon????

I have just attemptem to order an item costing $68.29.  Amazon added:  Prime Pantry is to 7.2% full and they wanted to charge me an additional over $70.00. 

I was not able to order what I wanted without this.  Can anyone tell me what this is/means? 

Regular Contributor

Re: Prime Pantry Items on Amazon????

I found this on the Amazon site: Pantry items ship for free by selecting just five qualifying items out of a selection of thousands. If you have not selected five qualifying items per pantry box, there is a flat $5.99 delivery fee per box.
Valued Contributor

I believe the "pantry" items have to fill a box for the flat shipping. If the box isn't full, you have to pay the actual shipping, which can be pricey if the items are heavy. You can either try to find the item on Amazon that isn't a "pantry" item, fill your box with another 90+ percent of pantry items, or pay the $70 shipping.

Trusted Contributor

That also happened to me.  I was just about to call them, because I had ordered the item before and never had this problem.  I went onto my order history and reordered the item from there without this "pantry" nonsense.  Give em a call.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

@Quse wrote:

I believe the "pantry" items have to fill a box for the flat shipping. If the box isn't full, you have to pay the actual shipping, which can be pricey if the items are heavy. You can either try to find the item on Amazon that isn't a "pantry" item, fill your box with another 90+ percent of pantry items, or pay the $70 shipping.

@Quse, you do not have to "fill a box" but you must have five pantry items to get the free shipping; if there are fewer than five pantry items there is a $5.99 shipping charge.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@cancun08 @CLEM FYI, their Customer Service is top notch, very friendly and informative, and more than willing to help!

Esteemed Contributor

Has Amazon changed their policy? I never fill a box, as I've found them way to heavy for me to handle. But, have never got charged shipping costs other than the $5.99 if I didn't order five free-shipping items.  It certainly won't pay to shop Prime Pantry 'cause Prime members get free shipping anyway!

Valued Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@Quse, you do not have to "fill a box" but you must have five pantry items to get the free shipping; if there are fewer than five pantry items there is a $5.99 shipping charge.

@Marp What you are talking about is a special for a limited time only. And it only applies to "qualifying pantry items". Not everything qualifies.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Quse wrote:

@Marp

I believe one needs to have 5 "qualifying" items to get free shipping. Not all Prime pantry items "qualify." At least, that has been my experience. I've had 5 Prime Pantry items in my cart before and not been given free shipping. I did not buy any of the items.

I've never been able to find enough pantry items that I want/need that qualify so I decided I need to stop trying & I'm no longer choosing slower delivery to get a Prime Pantry credit. I'll never use it.

Esteemed Contributor

If you love Amazon and area a Prime subscriber this may not be helpful, but Walmart ships groceries and you don't have to be a member of anything to use the service.  There is also Peapod, but I know that service is not available nationwide, and may not be available for delivery within your town even if they operate in your state.