Esteemed Contributor

I wonder why many people think the more expensive a product is ,the better it works..............................

Respected Contributor

Re: Pricing on Beauty products

Because it makes sense that if you spend more, you are getting better quality ingredients.

I don't know if it is true every time.

I'm not saying that there are no good inexpensive products or that all expensive products are good, because that is NOT true.

Do we expect more from high priced items? I do.

Do we always get more? No.

Do we "grade" higher priced items differently? I think we do. We claim it works better/faster even though it probably doesn't really.

It's complicated in my head.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

Because it makes sense that if you spend more, you are getting better quality ingredients.

I don't know if it is true every time.

I'm not saying that there are no good inexpensive products or that all expensive products are good, because that is NOT true.

Do we expect more from high priced items? I do.

Do we always get more? No.

Do we "grade" higher priced items differently? I think we do. We claim it works better/faster even though it probably doesn't really.

It's complicated in my head.

@Dusty1 @Sometimes you do get a better product and sometimes you don't. I do think that Estée Lauder lipsticks are better than any drugstore lipsticks I have tried. The lipsticks go on smoothly, stay on, have more pigment. Same with foundations for dry skin. Higher end foundations for dry skin are better than drug store foundations for me, and I've tried many, even doing half face comparisons. Moisturizers from higher end makers are not better in my opinion. It depends on which moisturizer and which skin and skin condition the user has. Very cheap nail polish goes on poorly in my experience.  Mid to higher priced ones go on better.

Plenty of cosmetics companies have lower and higher priced lines. Some of the ingredients can overlap between these lines but the makers usually try to put some ingredients in that don't overlap. You will see

There have been some studies that have shown that reviewers that paid more for high end products usually rate the products more highly. There have been some studies in which reviewers were given products with identical ingredients, but were told the products come from different companies, one with a well known, higher end brand name and one without the brand name. The participants rated the higher end brand name version more highly than the comparison product, which had the same ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

2BBF423B-C55C-4D55-B559-697408543FE4.jpegThey also own Velentino, Prada, Cacharel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Estée Lauder owns all these companies. 

Aerin Beauty, Armani's, Aveda,

BECCA, Bobbi Brown, Bumble and Bumble,

Clinique, Darwin, DKNY, Donna Karan Cosmetics,

Dr. Jart+, Editiins de Parfumd Frederic Malle,

Estée Lauder, GLAMGLOW, Jo Malone London,

Kilimanjaro Paris, MAC, Michael Korea Beauty,

Origins, Rodin olio lasso, Smashbox,

Tom Ford Beauty, Tommy Hilfiger,

Too Faced,mErmenegildo Zegna Parfums. 

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I wonder why many people think the more expensive a product is ,the better it works..............................

Because it boosts their self esteem when they buy high-priced items. Self esteem is directly correlated with happiness and when a person is happy they tend to look better. It has nothing to do with quality.

Honored Contributor

Perfect example is Lancome, so overpriced, ingredients are terrible !!! high priced junk !!!

Honored Contributor

I think a prestige name might make us feel like we are getting a high quality product and if it has this name and costs so much, it must be good and it surely has to work!  I don't really go by this, as I can't afford to pay really high prices for these things and I also don't want to pay these prices!  I do feel there are some products which are a bit higher in price which probably do have better ingredients, than some lower priced ones.  I, myself, look at ingrdients which I feel won't cause me issues and which are fragrance free, more than looking at a name and/or a price.  Great beauty products can be had for a nominal price, I think. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

It's not confined to only beauty products.   I have my thoughts why some may do it, but it makes no difference to me.  We're all different and we make different choices for different reasons.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I worked in this industry. Most of the formulas are the same. On oe of the TSVs had very expensive packaging and that is what we were paying for. Many people believe you get what you pay for,go ahead and do that.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.