Honored Contributor
A large factor is simple supply and demand. While, in some cases, supply is down due to obvious factors, people are also buying insane quantities of many items. The demand is NOT normal. Placing all the blame on government assistance is a fallacy. A bigger factor in low supply for some items is an ongoing cycle of quarantines globally at manufacturing locations and ports.
Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Article today, Tyson Foods raising it's prices 40% and more to come.

@Just Bling 

Just paid 4.99 for Tyson cornish hens, they have been in short supply since the pandemic started. They were 2.99 each prior.

Esteemed Contributor

This happens often with Wafair and Overstock too. 

Trusted Contributor

How do you spend over $50 for one person at Dollar General?  When they are cheaper and fully stocked than my local grocery store Smiley Tongue  groceries are all going up Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@northiie57 

I totally agree with it being very easy to spend a tidy sum at Dollar General; my last stop there cost me $65.  

I went in for Coke and bread, but also came out with a cart full of yellow bags!   That store had the Ajax detergent I like at $1 a bottle, so I bought what was on the shelf.  I needed birthday cards, writing paper, staples, paper clips, tape, shampoo, I found the Boston Baked beans candy my husband loves, a replacement mop head, liquid soap refill, and Glade candles.   Everything was right there at my fingertips, so I bought what I needed.  

Dollar General is a much easier shopping experience than my grocery store, and I appreciate that convenience. 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop   Boston Baked Beans Candy-my gosh I haven't seen those in years!!

Off topic, I know.  

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

And the week I was there, that candy was buy 3 get one free, so my husband was shocked to get 4 bags.   DG is the only local store to carry this candy.  They also carry the maple nut candy and striped peanut bars I like.  

Trusted Contributor

DH must have his decaf coffee no matter what. Was in WM and did a double take when I saw the Starbucks bag of ground coffee is now down to 7 ounces! I know most coffees went from 16 oz. to 12oz. last year, but wasn't prepared for 7 oz. Good thing he is well-stocked, but the shelf life isn't very long if it is already ground. He refuses to use a Keurig so bagged coffee it is. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't think prices will ever go down to what they were pre-COVID, especially when we now learn of another shut down of a port in China. Even though our groceries aren't sitting on the docks there, plenty of packaging and mechanical parts for factories may be. Trickle down effect.

Trusted Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

How do you spend over $50 for one person at Dollar General?  When they are cheaper and fully stocked than my local grocery store Smiley Tongue  groceries are all going up Smiley Sad

Hi @northiie57 ,

I'm sure that it's not hard to do! Smiley Wink

They have some great prices in their store, plus I think that their prices are pretty competitve with the "mart"-type stores.

I've also been really surprised at how fast prices are rising on grocery products, too.

It can literally be $1.00 here on something one week, and then .30 here and .50 there another week.

I've also noticed that products are shrinking in their packages by quite a bit too, now.

It's most especially noticeable with cereals and crackers and snacks--things like that.