Esteemed Contributor

Re: Price scanners at my Walmart

There are also apps which scan and tell where to get it for less.

You can use their WiFi to order else where on the spot.

Take that tricksters who think we are dumb!

Super Contributor

I also used the price scanners in the stores, but can't find them any longer.  My biggest pet peeve is to be waiting in line behind someone who has several items that need price scans, then they decide whether they want them at that price or not.  That's why I'm grateful that many stores are going to self checkouts.

So many people pick up an item from a marked shelf, then drop it later on any shelf or display.  I never count on my item being priced correctly when stores place items on the shelf without actual tickets.

With so many store personnel wanting guaranteed per hour wages, the stores are simply doing with less staff.  Just my honest opinion.

Respected Contributor

I don't want to add all these various apps to my phone.  Isn't there a something like a universal price scanner app available for purchase and download?

Respected Contributor

@deeva wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

I agree, I have enough apps on my phone. I'm not looking to add another one to check store prices.

Sometimes I go to an empty self checkout lane and scan the item to check the price. 

Good idea, @deeva 

Esteemed Contributor

I wanted to update my price scanning experience at Hudson’s Bay department store as my family and I visited the downtown Vancouver, B.C. Canada flagship store on Sunday afternoon after seeing the Nutcracker ballet at Queen Elizabeth Theatre which is a few blocks away.

My daughter specifically wanted to look at the Levis jeans which were on Boxing day sale. Some were also on markdown clearance too. There was a big selection to pick from unlike the suburban HBC stores but there were no price scanners to be found. We also had to hunt for the cashier desk too.

I noticed that even the flagship HBC store had a lot better decor and mantenance than suburban stores but only the women’s designer clothes floor had new flooring and decor  on par with Nordstrom which is across the street.

Honored Contributor

Ours doesn't have them either.  I was just there yesterday and could not find the price of something and wanted to use the self checkout and it's a hassle to get a clerk to come over if you mess up, so I didn't get the item.  I guess they figure that people can just use their smart phones to check prices.  However, I don't have one so not helpful to me!  I always use the price scanners but probably another helpful thing that is going by the wayside!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't have a smart phone and it would be nice if a WM employee could help me with a price check....oh, but wait....that employee is too busy putting stuff away from those abandoned carts. Woman LOL

@SilleeMee 

At my nearest Walmart the employees are too busy arguing with one another over how many hours they each got or who was supposed to be working the register.....or arguing with the store manager and mad at the world....or flirting with young good looking customers while the rest of us wait in line ...Woman Frustrated

I NEVER have seen a pile of merchandise by the price scanners.....maybe the shoppers at the stores here are more considerate....

I prefer shopping at Target and they still have scanners at the store and no piles of unwanted merchandise there either!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt 

I also haven't seen clothes piled up next to price scanners in Walmarts in Canada. I do see clothes piled up next to the dressing rooms because there isn't enough rack space to hang all the clothes people decide they don't want after trying them on. FYI the price scanners aren't near the dressing rooms either at the Walmarts I've been to. The Walmart stores I've been to in Canada also tend to cheap out on the number of dressing rooms in the whole store. I've seen some Walmart Canada stores with only 2 dressing rooms and one of the stores that used to be a Target store and before that a Zellers store had at least triple the amount of dressing rooms when they were those other discount stores.

Honored Contributor

My Walmart has one price scanner left, tucked away in the baby department. As far as I know, that's the only one left in the store. The rest were removed some time ago.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I went to Walmart yesterday and noticed they had four price scanners--one in each corner of the store.  I used one of them to determine the price of some Christmas merchandise since it was all in a bin marked 50% off.  One thing I noticed is that these are newer models than the last time I tried one.  They used to have a really loud beeping noise when I scanned the item, but this was much quieter.  Maybe some stores removed them because they're getting ready to update?