Esteemed Contributor

Re: Price scanners at my Walmart

The price scanners are in the Walmart Canada stores and haven't been removed. I have seen price scanners removed and/or not working at Hudson's Bay stores but I think that is a sign at those stores of poor equipment maintenance at those stores as HBC rarely spends money on fixing anything like ripped, torn, and dirty flooring or painting and refurbishing dressing rooms.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

What Am I missing here?   I never need a scanner.  The prices are on the shelf with the product..... I have never had to use a scanner for a price?

Do your stores not show the price on the shelf? That is odd?

@SeaMaiden  Try looking at after Christmas merchandise where everything is

all out of order or maybe finding something not holiday related not where it 

belongs without a price tag on it.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know. 

WOW, that is just horrible!  What is with people today????  No thought about basic manners, courtesy, the impact you & your actions have on others - just self-orientation.  I am old, but it scares me about what is happening in this world to people and their relationships with other people and their surroundings.  Things have changed so dramatically in such a short window of time.  It is truly sad.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I've never worked at Walmart, but I did work at another retail department store that had scanners located thru out the store.  The amount of clothing left by the scanners was unbelievable.  Left all over the floor, draped over other racks of clothing, girls clothes mixed in with boys clothes, clothing from other departments, etc....  In my position as a sales associate, my work review was based on sales, not on time spent keeping the department presentable. 

Often times co-workers would NEVER leave the register area.  Let alone leave to clean out fitting rooms (which were another disaster because there was NO limit to the number of items being brought into the fitting rooms) or put items back left at the scanners.  If you weren't getting the sales numbers and opening up credit accounts, you were gone in due time, simple as that.  Working in retail was a real eye opener for me.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

I think it is a mistake to remove them. I use them at many stores as I would never consider buying something if I don't know the price. 

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I don't have a smart phone or "apps". If I need a price check at Target, the clerks there are very courteous and helpful. WM, not so much.

Target has great customer serviceSmiley Happy  I did some Christmas shopping there, off topic but Barnes and Noble has great customer service.  Did some Christmas shopping there as well.  Walmart may have better prices on some things, but sometimes you want to enjoy good customer service. Its very helpful to ask a customer service rep where something is located and they actually know where the item is located.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I can totally understand why WM got rid of those scanners. They're having to take extra time to put all of the abandoned merchandise back to where it came from. I go shopping at WM early Sunday morning, as soon as the store opens, and you wouldn't believe how many abandoned heaping-full carts are left throughout the store. Those full carts are then parked by an employee in front of the CS counter and then they have to go through all of it. I asked a WM employee about that situ and they told me it was an all-day job to clean out those carts. It's like that every Sunday.

@SilleeMee 

I call that 'job security', WalMart employess are PAID to do that job and I'm sure they appreciate getting paid to do that job.

Without it, some would be unemployed by WalMart. 

Their job is to make sure prices are posted.   Maybe if they would do their job they wouldn't spend all their time restocking from the carts.    WM should have figured this out already.   It's not that hard.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I can totally understand why WM got rid of those scanners. They're having to take extra time to put all of the abandoned merchandise back to where it came from. I go shopping at WM early Sunday morning, as soon as the store opens, and you wouldn't believe how many abandoned heaping-full carts are left throughout the store. Those full carts are then parked by an employee in front of the CS counter and then they have to go through all of it. I asked a WM employee about that situ and they told me it was an all-day job to clean out those carts. It's like that every Sunday.

@SilleeMee 

I call that 'job security', WalMart employess are PAID to do that job and I'm sure they appreciate getting paid to do that job.

Without it, some would be unemployed by WalMart. 

Yes, it's job security.  Plus, I'm not so sympathetic because at all of my nearby Walmarts, you'll find some employees hard at work and some employees just standing around talking to each other (not on break).  If they have time to stand around and talk to each other, they have time to reshelve the products near the scanners.  Honestly, I don't recall lots of items sitting near our scanners, and even if there were, it wouldn't take much to have someone scan the area every 30 minutes or so to keep things from piling up.  

I saw a positive comment upthread about Target.  IMO they are just as bad as Walmart when it comes to not having prices on items, and around here their customer service is worse than Walmart's.  Guess it depends on where you live.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate

I agree, I have enough apps on my phone. I'm not looking to add another one to check store prices.

Sometimes I go to an empty self checkout lane and scan the item to check the price. 

Respected Contributor

My target still has them and I use them all the time.  

I think they should keep them, even if they have to remove items that customers have

left.  They should leave a cart there for customers who aren't going to put them back on the shelves to put the items they don't want instead of having customers leave the items by the scanner.  

How hard is it to put items back on shelves?  Good opportunity for the staff to learn where things are located and walk the aisles and be available for customers in the various aisles. 

What bugs me is customers who leave perishable items all over the store and even by the registers by the gum and candy - have the decency to put items back if you don't want them or give them to the clerk 3 feet away. 

......You look like I need a drink.....