Esteemed Contributor

Price scanners at my Walmart

I went shopping at Walmart after Christmas.  I had several things in

my cart that had no prices on the package. So I walked around and

looked for a scanner in two places that I used to check prices on.

Nothing there anymore.

I finally found an employee and asked her where I could find the

closest scanner. She told me they took the scanners away. I asked

why and was told that the customers leave all their unwanted items

there. The employee was decent and told me the prices of the

things I needed checked.

The scanners were helpful to so many people. I am disappointed. It

seems more stores are putting them in and now my store has now

removed them. It was a nice convenience for shoppers.

Was wondering if anyone here still has them in their store? Will all

of the stores remove them soon?I don't want this to get ugly about

Walmart, just curious about it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Price scanners at my Walmart

@threecees 

I downloaded the Walmart ap during an in-store promo recently. Now I can just aim my phone at the UPC code on any item in the store and it gives me the price. I can also type in a product category and it tells me the location in the store to find it. Very helpful in a huge Super Walmart. (The ap knows which WM store I’m in.)

Maybe this would be an alternative for you. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

The price check scanners were removed from my store some months ago.  I too miss them.

I didn't realize I could use the Walmart app to price check, as @shoesnbags  does, but I'm sure going to try it out!  Thanks for the tip!

Honored Contributor

I don't know about our Walmarts - I'll have to look next time I'm in there.  Last I knew they still had them.  Target has them and I find them very useful.

Kohl's has gradually been getting rid of them (as the machines break down and aren't replaced).  I did ask and they said everyone is using an app on their phones now to check prices.  I said "Well, I don't".  But I guess I'm going to have to eventually.

Respected Contributor

Our Walmart still has price checkers, but most of them don't work. 

Respected Contributor

@threecees....I have run into the same problem at WM. Target too. If I do find one, it's usually broken.Cat Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

It never occurred to me to use the app to scan barcodes. Until now, I've mainly used it for alerts and shopping. This was a great post!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Our stores have gotten rid of them too, but I don't use apps on my phone and because I don't, I never get junk/sales calls on my cellphone, ever.

DH uses apps and constantly gets junk/spam/sales calls on his.

I just separate the items that I don't know the cost of and have the cashier check the prices, before I okay that I'll buy them.

If they want to make finding their prices difficult, then they can do the work to tell me what it costs before I buy it, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I can totally understand why WM got rid of those scanners. They're having to take extra time to put all of the abandoned merchandise back to where it came from. I go shopping at WM early Sunday morning, as soon as the store opens, and you wouldn't believe how many abandoned heaping-full carts are left throughout the store. Those full carts are then parked by an employee in front of the CS counter and then they have to go through all of it. I asked a WM employee about that situ and they told me it was an all-day job to clean out those carts. It's like that every Sunday.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a smart phone or "apps". If I need a price check at Target, the clerks there are very courteous and helpful. WM, not so much.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.