Esteemed Contributor

I have a big box to mail to a friend.  She is going to sell what I send her.  It is clothing.  She sells on Ebay and my impression is it would help her financially.  Not totally sure but it is what I am thinking.  This box is large and 20 pounds and she lives across the country.  I had the shock of the month going to the post office to mail it and later calling UPS.  Price   $68 to mail.  My question have any of you tried finding someone to actually transport the package by car who is traveling there anyway? 

Are there any other options to he  major mail carriers?

Honored Contributor

Re: Price of mailing packages

@bonnielu  Did you check FedEx ground price too?

Honored Contributor

It's very expensive to ship items cross country.  I know, because my parents had to downsize last year, and I took some of their things and sent them to my home.  I think I spent more on shipping, than what the items were worth.  It was worth it to me, because these things had sentimental value to me, but....wow!  I was blown away by the prices.  Used Fedex, since that was most convenient.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu, I'm sort of shaking my head at this one. Are you just donating the clothing to her so she can sell your clothes and keep the proceeds? Are you sure she really needs the money? Trying to find someone who is traveling in her direction and trusting them to drop off a box of clothes is a bit risky in my opinion. Would you do that for someone you didn't know? You asked for an opinion about finding someone who would do that, so I'm going to say that I never have, and I never will. The entire thing sounds sketchy to me. It sounds like you have a good heart, but this situation doesn't make much sense to me.

Honored Contributor

There are boxes at the post office that are free...you pay once you are ready to mail the box....there are different size boxes all with a fixed price - maybe a couple of the boxes would suit your needs and be less expensive.  Shipping is expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1  You are  right it  does make no sense to me either. I figured if I sent the stuff she could sell it and then make a bit of a profit.  I never thought the total would be almost $70.  My best bet would be just to leave it alone. 

What I might do it just give it to a charity.  That would help them.  BUT NOT HER and if I were to offer her something, anything I might be kind of insulting her in a way because she did not ask for anything.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu, I think that's a good decision to just leave the whole thing alone. I'm sure there are many people in your area who will benefit from your clothes if you just donate them to a charity. You have a good heart, but it's not your responsibility to pay that much in order to help your friend make some money.

Honored Contributor

Send her $70 and donate the clothing and consider it the price of a lesson learned and several people helped along the way!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

There are boxes at the post office that are free...you pay once you are ready to mail the box....there are different size boxes all with a fixed price - maybe a couple of the boxes would suit your needs and be less expensive.  Shipping is expensive.

That is true  but these boxes are small in size ( even the largest). Probably wouldn't work for this poster 

Honored Contributor

Your friend should go to a thrift store and find good quality clothes and sell them on eBay. Many people do this and make money. Donate your box of clothes to some local shelter or other charity that could use them. If your friend is in dire straits and needs the money....send her a check.