Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

We all know price gouging is a no, but is it against

the law to limit the # of items purchased?

I don't know about that part of the law, but I actually agree with limiting purchases.  The greed of some of those excessive buyers is as bad as that of the overchargers.

I don't much care if it's storm time or just the extreme couponers who are definitely on my low-life list.  I want sellers to limit those people.

Trusted Contributor

After the big Northridge earthquake in SoCal, the state passed an emergency bill prohibiting price hikes of gas and water.  That should happen everywhere after a natural disaster.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Showing my ignorance: I thought there was a law or a it could be decreed that during an event such as this, it was illegal to price gouge...am I imagining this?

Yes, it's pretty cr@ppy. I have friends who faced this during Isabel and they refused to do business with those who did this after the event was over; many did... to the point one business went out of business (good).

@SahmIam  That's why the AG is out giving citations.  It's illegal.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Price gougers are greedy and take advantage of both those who think nothing of waiting until the last minute for preparation....and sometimes even those who prepare before that last minute. Thing is for people not to support any business as usual for those who participate in price gouging after the crisis has passed. Make a statement with the wallet! Is why I am well prepared way in advance for any possible situation that involves limited resources. People should not and cannot depend solely on the gov't for their every life need during an emergency. Those that do are often in for a sad reality.